Author Topic: Guidance on brass/phosphor bronze handrails...  (Read 2271 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +75
Guidance on brass/phosphor bronze handrails...
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »
I'm doing my first set of brass stanchions with phosphor bronze handrails, just looking for any guidance! I want to make a rig for soldering the whole shebang. What should the rig/jig be made of? How can I ensure space accuracy between the stanchions?

Thanks,
The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1721
Re: Guidance on brass/phosphor bronze handrails...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:24:18 AM »
I tried making a jig a while back but found that I couldn't make it accurate enough. It would probably have to be machined, and then you would need one for each kind of loco too.

I install the stanchions by eyeballing them against the vertical lines on the body of the loco.  It's usually possible to adjust them with the tip of a tweezers, and they can even be bent a little bit after the CA sets up.  No much magic to it, just good light, some magnification, and make sure you're looking at each one square on.   I first sight them from the side, then from the ends to line them up, and then also from the top, repeating as necessary.

I prefer to install the longer stanchions from the GMM fret, and them trim them after the PB wire is soldered.  That allows me to make adjustments if needed, and it avoids the balancing act of trying to solder onto the very end of each stanchion.  It also compensates if any of the holes drilled for the stanchions are not perfectly aligned.  I've heard that some guys wrap the flat ends of the stanchions around the PB wire, but I've never tried that myself.

Some handrails have angled and/or compound bends.  Sometimes it helps to make a template on paper, but I don't think it's necessary to have all the bends precisely right relative to the prototype.  As long as the square angles are pretty square, and parallel lines remain parallel,  it should look pretty good when finished.

The first few times will take some extra patience, but I think that other than melting the shell with the soldering iron, there aren't too many mistakes that can't be corrected.

Ed

sd80mac

• Crew
  • Respect: +70
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »

Hi Ed,

I actually machined a pair of flat-nose pliers to make consistent bends on the flat portion of the GMM stanchions. I'll post a picture of them, if I can remember...

Donnell

I've heard that some guys wrap the flat ends of the stanchions around the PB wire, but I've never tried that myself.

Ed

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 03:54:10 PM »
Nscalesteve had a photo here where he showed his progress on a BN B30-7A and how he rebuilt the handrails for the cabless unit. The jig was made of balsa wood and is worth a look through the forums to have a look at. Let me know if you can't find it, I did save it somewhere...
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »
I figure if I have to detail 2+ locomotives exactly the same, the jig would help speed things up. I could use the original plastic handrails as the "master" for the jig. I chose a first-gen EMD unit so I wouldn't have to worry about compound/complex bends, everything is flat and simple. I've thought about it over the past week and I have an idea but it will take some time to fabricate. New's at 11.

The S.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:44:38 PM by sizemore »

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1357
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »
I like this kind of jig.  I thought of scanning the plastic handrails and making a backing print to align everything nicely.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »
So it looks like I'm going to use a "modified" Steve4 technique. Instead of balsa I'm using Masonite with a drilled template. It works well for holding the stanchions and doesn't melt or burn. The problem I have at the moment is over abundance of solder which bleeds. I think I need to use a lower sized gauge of solder.

My test runs are good, but just need to refine technique to make it a tad better.

The S.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »
I'm just about to jump into to doing this as well. Do you have to solder the rails to the stanchions? Somewhere I read that CA worked as well. My detail skills are about about 9+, my soldering skills about 2.