Author Topic: GHQ has released the CN 8-hatch reefer  (Read 5643 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: GHQ has released the CN 8-hatch reefer
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 12:06:51 AM »
I'd have prefered slab side covered hoppers, but hey, the refer is a nice to many CN modelers. Too old for my era, though.

They made it to the 1980s according to the article.

Yeah, the slab side hoppers would be nice.  But with TLT doing them in HO, probably it's theirs to do in N if they decide to.  Given their experience with the newsprint boxcar, who knows if/when they will consider it.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 08:33:32 AM »
I'd have prefered slab side covered hoppers, but hey, the refer is a nice to many CN modelers. Too old for my era, though.

I'll second third and fourth that one Mike!!!!! Someone needs to do the slab side cars in both CN, CP, GTW, PGE, BCOR and TH&B. This would be a nice one for someone to do as an etched brass car. Hello Bob  ;) ;) ;D!!!

Jon

There is a fairly reliable supplier out there that told me that True Line will follow up their HO slab sides with N scale slab sides by the end of the year. The announcement will be made before mid year. If that rumour is true (and while I have never been steered wrong by this guy, I can't guarentee it)  That will make CN, CP, TH&B and PGE/BC Rail modelers run to the bank and extend their line of credit.......
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:35:19 AM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +653
    • My train pics
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:57 AM »
Very interesting, Pud. I don't need a large fleet of the slabs, just a few each for CN, CP and TH&B... a little variety to break up the glorious monotony of 200+ cylindricals. By the late 1980's I'm pretty sure they were largely consigned to the scrap pile, save for the ones used in company sand service. Still, I can see the TH&B ones now, just covered in cement dust...

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
Very interesting, Pud. I don't need a large fleet of the slabs, just a few each for CN, CP and TH&B... a little variety to break up the glorious monotony of 200+ cylindricals. By the late 1980's I'm pretty sure they were largely consigned to the scrap pile, save for the ones used in company sand service. Still, I can see the TH&B ones now, just covered in cement dust...

I saw one TH&B' in October 2005 at Havelock..... and "yep", it looked exactly as you described.....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +653
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 12:41:18 PM »
In 2005!? Was it in revenue service for Unimin loading or just stored? Either way, one heck of a catch at that late date!

cvgp9

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
A dream come true.  I have ordered 6 cars.  for a start  ;D

Gerry Boulerice
Dorval, QC

The CV lives on!

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
Gerry,
I hope you have ordered your Geeps from Atlas. I've got a dozen
coming from Chuck!!! ;D

Jon

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 08:00:08 PM »
In 2005!? Was it in revenue service for Unimin loading or just stored? Either way, one heck of a catch at that late date!

Looked to be in revenue as I recall....but man, was it ridden hard and put away wet.....

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2278
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 08:04:05 PM »

Looked to be in revenue as I recall....but man, was it ridden hard and put away wet.....

Reminds me of my dating years .

Richie Dost

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3228
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »

In Olongapo :)

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »

You TOFC stud muffin Richie........ ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »

In Olongapo :)

Sometimes wonder who I survived Olangapo, ::)

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »

I saw one TH&B' in October 2005 at Havelock..... and "yep", it looked exactly as you described.....

If you have a photo of it, I'd love to put that up on my freight car website. That's insanely late for an old slab side to still be in service, although they could get away with it if it's in captive, non-interchange service.
I've seen a couple old CN slab-sides that they use for spacers on dimensional movements.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »

If you have a photo of it, I'd love to put that up on my freight car website. That's insanely late for an old slab side to still be in service, although they could get away with it if it's in captive, non-interchange service.
I've seen a couple old CN slab-sides that they use for spacers on dimensional movements.

Ever since I remembered the car I've been searching through disks of photo's because I know I sanpped a few...grrrrrr.....

cvgp9

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »
Yo Central.Vermont. I've ordered 4 with DDC. Will have to renumber 3 because years ago I rolled my own and have 4549,4550,4553, 4557 and TT 4923

Gerry Boulerice
Dorval QC