Author Topic: Broadway Limited Paragon systems  (Read 677 times)

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
Broadway Limited Paragon systems
« on: June 18, 2024, 05:30:39 PM »
Hi Gang.
I'm looking for a Pennsylvania T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex and am wondering about the difference between Paragon 3 and Paragon 4 sound systems.

Rick

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +761
Re: Broadway Limited Paragon systems
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 06:51:06 PM »
Skip the 3 and go for the 4.  Much less problematic.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5633
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 07:00:36 PM »
+3
3 is what people used to remove/replace. Now the 4 is what they remove/replace  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8981
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 07:20:17 PM »
3 is what people used to remove/replace. Now the 4 is what they remove/replace  :trollface:

This

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5165
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 09:53:12 PM »
Hi Gang.
I'm looking for a Pennsylvania T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex and am wondering about the difference between Paragon 3 and Paragon 4 sound systems.

Rick

Specific answer is that 4 is the newer (improved) generation of BLI decoder, just like ESU LokSound 5 is an new and improved version of LokSound V4.  I know, I'm stating the obvious, but that's what it is.  Many modelers (including me) do not care for the way BLI Paragon decoders work (especially with difficultly in programming those on programming track of certain command stations), and replace them with other brand decoders.
. . . 42 . . .

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +963
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 08:05:45 AM »
+1
I would stay away from the Paragon 3.  It can't do even simple lighting programming (like keeping the front light on even in reverse), has very little sound programming flexibility, and in general is poorly executed in its command structure.  The Paragon 4 is better, and is perfectly acceptable for general running.  At least you can program the headlight on it.  I imagine 90% of folks would find it just fine.

That said, I have a number of BLI Mikados.  Some came with 3's, some with 4's.  I removed the Paragon in all of them and replaced it with an ESU Loksound 5 and added a TCS KA-1 keep alive for better operation when doing slow-speed switching moves (adding a keep alive to the Paragon is not possible without a degree in electrical engineering and expertise in SMD soldering).   I find that the ESU achieves better slow-speed performance from the engine, better matching of chuffs to wheel rotation at slow speeds (which is a major sticking point for me with steam engines), is more flexible with lighting programming, and has better whistle and bell options (although that won't matter with the T1, since all you want is the original Pennsy whistle and bell, which the Paragon 4 gives you).  But for the vast majority of people, the Paragon 4 will do what they want.

John C.

Sdynamo

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024, 01:11:43 PM »
@jdcolombo, when using a TCS KA with the ESU decoder, do you have programming issues?  OR do you have a switch/connector to disconnect the KA during programming?

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +963
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2024, 02:43:51 PM »
I do all my programming on the bench using a LokProgrammer before I do a final connection of the KA.  I've done this enough now that I have "templates" for all my steam and diesel locos; I load in a template, check to make sure everything works, and then connect the KA.  After that, if I want to change something, I use direct CV programming from the main (but these changes are very limited - e.g., tweaking the speed curve or changing the whistle volume).

John C.

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2024, 11:29:02 PM »
+1
Thank you all for your informative input. I think I'll go with the Paragon 4. I don't have the expertise or desire to fiddle with different decoders. I jut wat something that will run out of the box with some degree of reliability.
Note to Petski- The Y3 you repaired for me a couple of years ago is still running flawlessly. You're a true genious.

Rick