Author Topic: Old School N Temptation  (Read 1100 times)

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +118
Old School N Temptation
« on: May 20, 2024, 09:18:10 PM »
 :o  I've been trying to downsize some since my 80th BD.  Then, I see another lot of vintage N showing up at one of my favorite on-line vendors.  Oh well, my annual physical went well.

https://www.fiferhobby.com/vintage_items/

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5697
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Old School N Temptation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 10:17:42 PM »
+2
Do it.  You know you want to!

Those $30 passenger car sets are mighty tempting.  Except I've already done my part to boost the hobby economy today, and I better cool it for a bit.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 10:35:06 AM »
Years ago, I might have pounced on some of those passenger cars to cheaply acquire something I might only want to run once in a blue moon.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +728
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 01:25:13 PM »
+1
Do it.  You know you want to!

Those $30 passenger car sets are mighty tempting.  Except I've already done my part to boost the hobby economy today, and I better cool it for a bit.

Lee
You know you want the UP Challenger so that it can be repainted for WM.
https://shop.fiferhobby.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=27055

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 02:05:09 PM »
 :)  That challenger does look good, but it is the Burlington SD-9 and the MoPac GP-50 that got my attention; plus the UP passenger cars.  Storage space and small layout limitations bring me back to reality.  I have a nice Great Northern blue caboose (MTL) that could use some GN power to pull it.  Also, would I want to add number board decals and convert a new purchase to MTL magnetic couplers?  Then there is the nostalgia factor.  An added attraction of the old N scale items is that they are simpler with few fragile detail parts to fall off.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 05:04:44 PM by Albert in N »

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1803
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 09:11:45 PM »
+3
To me, the thing that positively jumps off that page is the Kato / Con-Cor 4-8-2   GN S-2.   But I need another one of those like I need another mooing stock car.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1147
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 10:05:57 PM »
Years ago, I might have pounced on some of those passenger cars to cheaply acquire something I might only want to run once in a blue moon.

They are decently ok as stand ins for a couple types. Looking around for some fluted side Lightweights coaches to pass off as Penn Central's mish mash of misfits for commuter trains myself.
-Al

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5697
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 10:50:49 PM »
They are decently ok as stand ins for a couple types. Looking around for some fluted side Lightweights coaches to pass off as Penn Central's mish mash of misfits for commuter trains myself.

I might be able to help.  I'm running a bit of a surplus on old Rivarossi PC coaches.  How many are you looking for?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1147
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 12:34:28 AM »
I might be able to help.  I'm running a bit of a surplus on old Rivarossi PC coaches.  How many are you looking for?

Lee

Not a super big need. More along the lines of the later Con-Cor-Rowa/Kato variety. Been finding a lot of undec trawling through through the non internet affiliated hobby shops of yor. But the offers are always appreciated.
-Al

gkoproske

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2024, 05:16:46 PM »
+1
I hope you have been culling your N inventory since the time you turned 70.  What you should do now, since I'm a decade behind you, is if you want to buy something, do it.  But the tradeoff is, then you have to dispose of something at the same time.