Author Topic: CRR ICE BREAKERS  (Read 963 times)

CRR Chase

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
CRR ICE BREAKERS
« on: February 02, 2024, 09:50:23 AM »
+1
So Incredibly excited to have these come out!!!
Thank you MTL... and they're weathered... YES!!!! Perfect

https://micro-trains.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=po2402&description=true&product_id=5157

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
Re: CRR ICE BREAKERS
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 10:35:43 AM »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

CRR Chase

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 12:17:50 PM »
+1
I had them on the docket to scratch, and had a guy print me some parts for the cars, but these will be WAY more accurate..

GM50 4164

• Crew
  • Respect: +98
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 08:25:47 PM »
+1
I had them on the docket to scratch, and had a guy print me some parts for the cars, but these will be WAY more accurate..
You may be able to get a couple of the sets and use some of the extra parts from that guy to make them not so similar to each other.

Benjamin H

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 09:25:11 PM »
+3

A long time Clinchfield Railroad modeler, I found it really difficult to ascertain whether or not the Micro-Trains releases will be accurate as there is no artwork showing a top view of the deck counter weights (the prototype cars had "T" shaped weights) and no end view of the ice breaker frames.

There is one particular body detail that is clearly off.

Bearing reporting numbers 10100 - 10149, the Clinchfield 53' 6" F102 flatcars did not have side mounted brake wheels.

The long out of production ready-to-run Deluxe Innovations/GHQ pewter metal 53' 6" Clinchfield flatcars with end brake wheels would be the ideal basis for a CRR tunnel ice breaker car conversion.

While the last time I was in touch with him was pre-COVID, primarily focused on producing HO Scale items, Bobby Simmons Digital Reflections, LLC (which was/is located in Columbia, South Carolina) was a splendid source for unique 3D printed Clinchfield Railroad detail products.

Along with parts for Clinchfield's modified 40' bulkhead flatcar ice breaker conversions (which preceded the 53' 6" flatcar conversions), Bobby had both the racks and the counter weights for N-Scale flatcars available in his November 12, 2020 pdf catalog.

For reference purposes, I have included some prototype photographs of Clinchfield Tunnel Ice Breaker cars numbers CRR 10124 , CRR 10131, and CRR 10133 below.

CRR Chase

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 08:22:27 AM »
Thanks PMP!!
I have a few of Bobby's items, including the Ice breaker parts.. thanks for the idea on which car is also best suited.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1074
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 02:09:21 PM »
The long out of production ready-to-run Deluxe Innovations/GHQ pewter metal 53' 6" Clinchfield flatcars with end brake wheels would be the ideal basis for a CRR tunnel ice breaker car conversion.

Would the Intermountain 53' 6" AAR flat also work?  (and perhaps be more readily available, although the IMRC cars are not easy to find anymore, either.)  Spookshow lists both the IMRC and Deluxe/GHQ cars as "AAR". Is there something particular to the GHQ casting that makes it a Clinchfield car?
https://intermountain-railway.com/n/html/68701.htm
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

pmpexpress

• Crew
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 06:23:25 PM »
+3
CRR Chase,

You're welcome.

Would the Intermountain 53' 6" AAR flat also work?  (and perhaps be more readily available, although the IMRC cars are not easy to find anymore, either.)  Spookshow lists both the IMRC and Deluxe/GHQ cars as "AAR". Is there something particular to the GHQ casting that makes it a Clinchfield car?
https://intermountain-railway.com/n/html/68701.htm

Although both products depict standard AAR flatcars, with no specific body detailing that make the Deluxe Innovation/GHQ models a better choice than the Intermountain Railway versions, the primary reasons for selecting the former are that they have Britannia pewter metal bodies and were released in 2003 as Deluxe Innovations stock number 190501 in factory decorated Clinchfield CRR 10135 livery.

Deluxe Innovations/GHQ Stock Number 190501 Clinchfield 53' 6" AAR Flatcar CRR 10135

As Spookshow noted on his Deluxe Innovations/GHQ (USA) AAR Standard 53.5' Flat Car website page, end brakewheel installation "...is an arduous task."

Given that Microscale doesn't offer any Clinchfield flatcar decals, if one were inclined to use an Intermountain Railway car, one would have to acquire a set of Bobby Simmons' Tunnel Ice Breaker car decals to complete the model.

While the Intermountain Railway cars are somewhat difficult to find, with around two-hundred of them produced, the Deluxe Innovations/GHQ models are fairly rare.

With forty-nine different prototype car numbers, I wonder if Intermountain could be coaxed into producing some Clinchfield 53' 6" AAR flatcars?

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 08:07:50 PM »
I think the real question is could Intermountain be coaxed into making some 53'6" flats period.  :|
I think its on their pile of dead tooling.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

pmpexpress

• Crew
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 08:57:33 PM »
I think the real question is could Intermountain be coaxed into making some 53'6" flats period.  :|
I think its on their pile of dead tooling.

Given that Intermountain's last production run was completely cancelled, I believe your assessment is probably spot on.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1156
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 12:14:57 PM »
+1
A long time Clinchfield Railroad modeler, I found it really difficult to ascertain whether or not the Micro-Trains releases will be accurate as there is no artwork showing a top view of the deck counter weights (the prototype cars had "T" shaped weights) and no end view of the ice breaker frames.

There is one particular body detail that is clearly off.

Bearing reporting numbers 10100 - 10149, the Clinchfield 53' 6" F102 flatcars did not have side mounted brake wheels.

While the last time I was in touch with him was pre-COVID, primarily focused on producing HO Scale items, Bobby Simmons Digital Reflections, LLC (which was/is located in Columbia, South Carolina) was a splendid source for unique 3D printed Clinchfield Railroad detail products.

Along with parts for Clinchfield's modified 40' bulkhead flatcar ice breaker conversions (which preceded the 53' 6" flatcar conversions), Bobby had both the racks and the counter weights for N-Scale flatcars available in his November 12, 2020 pdf catalog.

For reference purposes, I have included some prototype photographs of Clinchfield Tunnel Ice Breaker cars numbers CRR 10124 , CRR 10131, and CRR 10133 below.

Have you forwarded these to MTL?   More info the better as they say.

Joe

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!