Author Topic: SOLD: Probably my last CF7 kit, going once.....  (Read 1209 times)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2178
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
SOLD: Probably my last CF7 kit, going once.....
« on: February 06, 2024, 04:20:30 PM »
+3
I've been doing my Atlas GP7 chassis conversion kits to CF7's now for, wow, 12 years.   Kinda lost count, but it's at least a many as were ever built if not more.

And while I've stayed with injection resin instead of RP mostly due to surface quality and cost, what's really made that kit has been the custom designed etchings for the handrails, steps, all the jewelry.  You can't RP that stuff.   And my reorder quantities and up-front costs for those etchings always make me think about maybe hanging it up, decided to wait until I got the new GP7 in my mitts to see how well the kit still works. 

Waited for 2 years with a dwindling supply of parts for Atlas to rerun the GP7.   And as in my comments on the Atlas GP7 thread, it's a great little unit, but putting the proprietary DCC decoder all the way up in the short nose has killed it as a viable chassis now for any chop-nose anything.  It really can't be done on DCC without junking all the new electronics and starting over.   The GP15 "trainman", did that just once, never again (too electrically unreliable), and the Bachmann GP7 requiree enough frame grinding to take up a different hobby.  Did one.  Also never again

So I can either spend another big buck, also redo parts and instructions, and hope that there's enough interest to even do DC units only, or the last 2002 DCC split chassis (which is now pretty hard to find), or hang it up on this one as it was sure fun while it lasted.  Remember I was doing GE 70-tonners and then Bachmann charged in!

I have five custom CF7 builds now finishing up on the workbench, all DCC, which is telling.  I have ONE remaining unclaimed kit left that can use a classic, 2002 DCC compatible frame, or if you aren't going to DCC, the new one.   The resin parts are easy, it's dropping more investment on the custom metal etchings - that's the issue for me.  Have resin cabs and frames for any CF7 version.  See www.randgust.com   

My friends here get 'last shot', if no interest it will probably end up on Ebay.  If you have a kit you never did, I can still do custom builds in the future  if you can find a chassis.

Thanks guys.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 08:45:14 AM by randgust »

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +285
Re: Probably my last CF7 kit, going once.....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 04:39:52 PM »
I bought a kit from you years ago. It's a project that has sat as I tried to find a phase 1 GP7 donor. I bought an Atlas GP7 with torpedo tubes. Is that OK to use for conversion? It's a 1995 release.
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 08:13:48 PM »
Yes, assuming it's a non-dynamic long hood.

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +144
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 09:50:42 PM »
I bought a kit from you years ago. It's a project that has sat as I tried to find a phase 1 GP7 donor. I bought an Atlas GP7 with torpedo tubes. Is that OK to use for conversion? It's a 1995 release.

I can release you of those TTs if you don't need them...
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

Rio Grandeous

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 05:09:38 PM »
Sold!  I'll take it!  I'd like  late version box frame single side window angular cab please?  I can send F&F PayPal or whatever means you'd like.
Thanks!
Chuck

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 06:43:31 PM »
I've built 2 of them, and still have 1 more kit I haven't started yet because I don't know if I want to build a 3rd YorkRail unit or something else and sell it for railroad funding

Bruce Archer

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 04:19:42 AM »
Hi All!
   Has anyone thought of using a Life-Like/Walther's/Atlas low nose GP-18 or GP-20 chassis? It is already chop nosed and DCC board must be available for them.

Bruce Archer
Modeler and Fan of the D&H since 1987.

randgust

• Crew
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 08:01:14 AM »
I use the Phase 1 non-dynamic long hood from Atlas for the long hood.   I did not copy the Atlas hood, that's an agreement I had with them

The fans are different on the GP18 and the GP20 has dynamics; only one CF7 ever had dynamics (2649)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8970
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 10:45:06 AM »
+1
Lol, oh man though, a turbocharged CF7 with the hood of a GP20?

Paint some tribal designs on it cause that's some Fast-N-Furious *****!

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
Re: SOLD: Probably my last CF7 kit, going once.....
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 11:55:08 PM »
This thread made a decision for me.  The last kit I have to build will be a Santa Fe unit, using an Atlas Santa Fe shell, someone posted full Atlas shells for sale, good timing

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
Re: SOLD: Probably my last CF7 kit, going once.....
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 01:03:56 PM »
+1
I love the way Randgust says...

Probably...

:trollface:
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.