Author Topic: DCC Power management preferences?  (Read 492 times)

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
DCC Power management preferences?
« on: September 15, 2023, 09:23:07 AM »
Group;
Any thoughts on your preference for DCC power management. Specifically between the Digitrax PM-74 and the DCC Specialities PSXX-1/2/3?

I can get the PM-74s for $88+ and they support 4 power districts, while the PSXX is roughly $50 per power district. Comparing by total power districts, the PM-74 appears much the better buy. I don't need either of units "extra" features such as occupancy detection (I use BDL-168s) or auto reversing. I only need them for power management.

So, based on your experiences, which do you prefer?

Kind regards,
Bill

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
Re: DCC Power management preferences?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
+1
In terms of reliability, either choice should be fine.  If you don't mind having 4 breakers in one physical package, the PM-74 is a better value. 

My only direct experience is with an earlier version of the PSX (the OG-CB board) which has served me well for years, and I've heard nothing but good things about the PSX (except their cost).   The PM-74 is a solid state upgrade of the PM-42, which had issues.  I'd be very surprised if the -74 didn't perform as well as a PSX.  You're not asking either product to do much.

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 05:02:15 PM »
Thanks Gary for the input.  I have seen a lot of differences of opinion on other boards, and differences of opinion if the PM-74 is upgraded to solid state relays like the PSXX or is still mechanical relays like the older PM-42.
Kind regards,
Bill

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3219
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 06:30:06 PM »
I would ask Digitrax directly ..