Author Topic: Best Of The Overland/Wiseman brass Western Maryland Shay thread  (Read 40251 times)

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5641
Re: The Overland/Wiseman brass Western Maryland Shay thread
« Reply #525 on: August 29, 2023, 06:21:39 PM »
Would love to watch you add geared reduction to an Atlas shay.  :)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #526 on: August 29, 2023, 08:23:17 PM »
Would love to watch you add geared reduction to an Atlas shay.  :)

Not really my specialty  Sounds like a Max project.
Years ago, Victor Miranda did a gear reduction on a Atlas MP15 trucks.  Not sure he was totally satisfied.  He gave them to me.  I think they run great.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #527 on: August 29, 2023, 08:26:11 PM »
Fair enough.  If you have an older Z2, it has a bug with speed steps which causes it to go slower then  faster on each subsequent step even though you keep increasing the speed on the throttle.

TCS was aware of the bug (I spoke to their reps several years ago at Springfield) and they told me that fix was coming. But I never bought any more of them to see if they actually fixed the problem. With ESU and ZIMO having prices comparable to domestic decoders I'm not longer using TCS or Digitrax decoders, and I never used NCE decoders either.

Yeah, thanks.  I do remember that.
As you can see, it does not seem to be a problem with this loco - though this is an old decoder.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5223
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2023, 09:12:33 PM »
Yeah, thanks.  I do remember that.
As you can see, it does not seem to be a problem with this loco - though this is an old decoder.

The video does not really show a gradual speed ramps up from zero to normal operating speed. Besides, that is something you have to witness in person as you slowly turning the speed knob and watching the model.  The reverse speed changes are very slight but noticeable. Would be hard to observe as a 3rd party in a video.  Anyway, since it works well for you, all is good.
. . . 42 . . .