Author Topic: Scalecoat Paint  (Read 926 times)

Jscottw

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
Scalecoat Paint
« on: June 23, 2023, 09:44:40 AM »
Does anyone out there know the status of Scalecoat paint?  I was getting used to using their products and then they just went offline. 

John

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2389
Re: Scalecoat Paint
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 10:48:51 AM »
Gone.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Jscottw

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 11:23:00 AM »
Just gone?  If you go to the website it says returning soon or was that just hopeful thinking?

John

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 12:55:36 PM »
There are rumblings on a couple of forums(trainorders being one) that someone has or is trying to purchase it.. I saw a teaser on a FB modeling site in late winter/early spring.

Jscottw

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 12:57:22 PM »
Hopefully someone purchases it, seems like every time I get used to using something new there is a change.

John

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5200
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 04:42:14 PM »
+1
The current (or maybe "ex" now) owner purchased the Scalecoat line from the original owners not all that long ago, and moved manufacturing to New Hampshire. From what I read on the Interwebs (here), he just stopped making the product.  I suspect the problem might be with all the new regulations he would l need to comply with regarding "stinky paints".  I also hope that the entire line gets picked up by someone else.  These were really good paints.
. . . 42 . . .

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 02:58:30 PM »
+1
The shop did close down without warning or notice that I saw. There was rumor on those other forum(s) that the glass jars used for the paint got scarce during the pandemic and supply chain fun issues that followed. I have read in those same forums where folks who had pending paid orders did not receive product. All I know for sure is the site was up when I was calling around to put group order in with some club members and a few days later the site was down/gone when I went to order. But like you I hope it makes a comeback as it is great paint.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1443
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 11:53:22 AM »
I too hope that Scalecoat is resurrected...and soon.  The very best model railroad paint in my opinion...Scalecoat II, and I've used it for years with top-notch trouble-free results...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore