Author Topic: New Loco - Minor Out-Of-The-Box Problem  (Read 2963 times)

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +242
Re: New Loco - Minor Out-Of-The-Box Problem
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2022, 09:42:53 AM »
I'm a little late to the party (just saw and read this message a bit ago) but it looks like Peteski has mostly walked the OP through the process.

If it's one of the newer Kobo units with a V5 58741 install, I did not do it. I did a handful of ES44s by machining the frames to accept Select 73199/73100 boards, but those are rare birds as that supply was running out by the time I got to the ES44's.   I left Kato before the V5 decoders showed up.  I'm in product development over at ScaleTrains now.

My first thought would be to rewrite the decoder if things were running in reverse (which would be a function of CV29) if it was still acting wonky after a decoder reset (CV8 to 8).

As with anything DCC, things that *should* be straight forward, rarely are and it looks like Peteski has this one mostly figured out.

Anywhoo...enjoy!   :trollface:

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2022, 09:07:54 PM »
Kelley - so glad that you had a chance to check on this topic.

It’s been several days of normal running for that new Kobo loco, and I think that I can confidently say that changing cv49 from the default 19 to a value of 3 has made all the difference.

I’m still surprised that this particular oddity hasn’t been more prominent. Matt at ESU commented on the i/o groups forum that they have seen this behaviour before, and he recommended changing cv49.

Anyway, the topic got a lot of attention, and I suspect it further rounded out the knowledge base on potential unusual behaviours, so here’s hoping that it helps other folks who bump up against the same frustrations.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3219
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2022, 07:40:48 AM »
If the cause was a spurious glitch having a snubber or two installed on the layout  could help.
I have two (one at each end) on my layout after something similar happened to me a couple or more years ago. Had no further spurious issues since.

good advice .. more info here