Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/15/13  (Read 13367 times)

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 12/15/13
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
One way to fight this is to put the extension on a diet...

I like that better. Less is more.

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +272
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
One way to fight this is to put the extension on a diet...

Yep, less is more. I like this simpler version.
What software are folks using to do this track plan??

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »
What software are folks using to do this track plan??

I was simply cutting and pasting the image for expedience. Ordinarily I'd use AnyRail.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9212
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
Shee-it, I just might have to do that to the Juniata Division!  I like!

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
Tony, I wonder what soldering iron you are usuing? I see burn spots :scared:
It was a El Cheapo 60W with a burnt out tip, said iron committed suicide doing these two so I went to a 40W with a spade bit for the HO #6, I still think it's a bit too much for n but my only other iron is a 20W Weller that I stole off my dad, so it's older than I am and desperately needs a new tip, which may or may not be still available.

I'll be hitting the post xmas sales for another iron, if you and the other hand layers can recommend a wattage.

I'm thinking A10 WARTHOG

Give the man a beer.
This is a  Hasegawa kit, I think it's a re-release given the amount of flashing on some parts.
Currently stalled and swearing at the two piece wings that won't let the forward gear housing glue together and the moulding lines under the wing tips.

Off topic would anyone know of or have access to photos under the wing tips near the anti vortex curve (don't know the official name)? 
Regards
Tony A

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
"Less is more."

Over the past 43-years of reading magazines like Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman and others the best layouts were not the ones with a lot of space and money to invest but small ones where the work concentrated on less track and more detail... David's N-scale Juniata Division being a perfect example of what I mean. 
]
I have seen some beautiful, small layouts that could be expanded upon with simple extensions that were not fancy track wise but that offered not only operation but also great staging for photographs which made them so great.  While I have no serious plans right now to build a layout (money doesn't allow much in the way of modeling, what with so much of my free funds going towards my resource library, negatives, pictures and slides) but if I do I would want something simple where the few passenger cars I do have can be staged and pictures taken so that they might be shared.  At least this extension allows some interesting operations... I hope if any pursue it that they will keep us up to date on their progress!!!

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2013, 12:26:42 AM »
S Class--

Squadron Signal has a book on the A-10 that's part of their "Walk around" series that should have what your looking for. 
Also check here:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-10/a-10_walk.shtml
I think I see a pic of the uderside of the wingtip.  Looks like the chaff buckets BTW
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:29:47 AM by jnevis »
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2013, 01:40:52 AM »
"Less is more."

Over the past 43-years of reading magazines like Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman and others the best layouts were not the ones with a lot of space and money to invest but small ones where the work concentrated on less track and more detail... David's N-scale Juniata Division being a perfect example of what I mean. 
]
I have seen some beautiful, small layouts that could be expanded upon with simple extensions that were not fancy track wise but that offered not only operation but also great staging for photographs which made them so great.  While I have no serious plans right now to build a layout (money doesn't allow much in the way of modeling, what with so much of my free funds going towards my resource library, negatives, pictures and slides) but if I do I would want something simple where the few passenger cars I do have can be staged and pictures taken so that they might be shared.  At least this extension allows some interesting operations... I hope if any pursue it that they will keep us up to date on their progress!!!

I agree with Jerry, kalbert, et al that less is often more. But you have to give a nod to the notion that the only opinion that matters in this regard is the builder's. If his goal is creating a lot of industry and yard switching opportunities, a higher track-to-scenery ratio may be in order. Doesn't matter if it's fashionable if it fills the bill.

Jim