Author Topic: Scenic Ridge - creativity within common boundries  (Read 5551 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1960
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Scenic Ridge - creativity within common boundries
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
Wow, topic creep at its finest. My initial idea was to gauge the interest in a web page that shows what different people have done with the Scenic Ridge "layout-in-a-box". Everybody starts out with the same thing, but where they ultimately wind up is often quite interesting. And of course, I'm not proposing that such a page be hosted anyplace other than my own website.

Cheers,
-Mark

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
Mark,
I have not used "the layout in a box" so that eliminates me as a contributor.  The idea of posting a site devoted to what one has done with that layout kit has some merit,  I am just surprised that some enterprising people at W/S have not done it on their website and/or facebook link.  8)

Seems as if there should be some pay back for you for advertising the diversity of uses fore their product.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:50:36 PM by rogergperkins »

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1400
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Judge me by my size, do you?

I for one always judge you by the quality of your work...which is astounding. 

Anybody with a photo of themselves with a cat on their head can't be all bad...

Cheers!
Bob Gilmore

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
 :|            Most of us probably started off with a door size layout or Lionel or Flyer on a Ping Pong Table.Then our layouts expanded when we had the money,space and time .I think just a Scenic Ridge page would be good as that layout and system is now the new era beginner standard. I still have stored away an old Life Like foam layout with its over & under track plan,OMG those awful colors painted on at the pactory,Bright Green, Gray,a bit of Brown. I also have a two section layout that was old British Lone Star 000 gauge. This is in molded plastic (think vacu formed),nicely painted with amazing detail like a plowed field,parking  lots and roads,trouble is the thin plastic sheets were prone to warping, and had to be nailed with small brads to a plywood sheet. Nate Goodman (Nato).

Freight Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »
Mark,
    I like your idea. Maybe starting a page at facebook where others can share their photos and ideas on what they've done with their WS Scenic Ridge might be the place to go. Be interesting to see what others do and the changes they make along the way.
Phoenix Southside Connecting Railroad (H0)
Moose River Railroad (N)

Freight Train

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
http://www.terrainfortrains.com/scrap.htm
    This is kind of the same idea of but uses the preformed Terrain For Trains modules. No two people do things exactly a like.  It's interesting to me to see how others go different routes even to the point of modification. ( -:

(Sorry Mark...didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. I was just using the Terrain For Trains as a example)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:46:56 PM by freight Train »
Phoenix Southside Connecting Railroad (H0)
Moose River Railroad (N)

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
Spookshow,

Are you talking about doing a kind of "N Scale Scenic Ridge Encyclopedia"? That is kind of an interesting idea. There's quite a few "Carolina Central" variants out there too, that one might be worth documenting too.  :D

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 08:32:20 AM »
Spookshow,

Are you talking about doing a kind of "N Scale Scenic Ridge Encyclopedia"? That is kind of an interesting idea. There's quite a few "Carolina Central" variants out there too, that one might be worth documenting too.  :D

Yeah, something like that. Are you familiar with the "Oh You Turkey!" picture contest the Mpls Star-Tribune runs every November? Basically it's a coloring book style drawing of a turkey that kids cut out and color (or otherwise decorate) and then mail in to the paper. The paper then publishes a selection of the best ones from each age group. And the imagination and creative diversity that goes into those things never ceases to amaze me.

I was thinking something along those lines - a simple web page showing pictures of what different people have done with Scenic Ridge.

-Mark

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
Yeah, something like that. Are you familiar with the "Oh You Turkey!" picture contest the Mpls Star-Tribune runs every November? Basically it's a coloring book style drawing of a turkey that kids cut out and color (or otherwise decorate) and then mail in to the paper.

-Mark

Wow. So you're the guy who's still reading newspapers.  :D

(Sorry. I'm a refugee from nearly 20 years in the business. And at least once upon a time The Strib was about as good as there was.)

Jim

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
Yep, that's me. It's not much bigger than a leaflet these days, but I still subscribe  :D

-Mark

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
Yeah, something like that. Are you familiar with the "Oh You Turkey!" picture contest the Mpls Star-Tribune runs every November? Basically it's a coloring book style drawing of a turkey that kids cut out and color (or otherwise decorate) and then mail in to the paper. The paper then publishes a selection of the best ones from each age group. And the imagination and creative diversity that goes into those things never ceases to amaze me.

I was thinking something along those lines - a simple web page showing pictures of what different people have done with Scenic Ridge.

-Mark

Yes I've seen that. The KEYC tv station used to do something like that with a Christmas tree drawing kids would color and send in. If you want any help contacting people or finding new Scienic Ridges to add let me know, I'd be glad to help out if I can.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
Yes I've seen that. The KEYC tv station used to do something like that with a Christmas tree drawing kids would color and send in. If you want any help contacting people or finding new Scienic Ridges to add let me know, I'd be glad to help out if I can.

KEYC? I know Mark is in the Twin Cities area. May I ask where you're at, kalbert?

I'm in the Mankato area myself.

Jim

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 05:46:04 PM »
KEYC? I know Mark is in the Twin Cities area. May I ask where you're at, kalbert?

I'm in the Mankato area myself.

Jim

Yep, I'm also in the Mankato area. Though I suspect you've already deduced that as nobody outside the area would have any reason to know what KEYC is!  :D

schidester

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
Just in case anybody's interested, I'm doing a Scenic Ridge project and journal, too. Mark's blog was the inspiration. The project is about half done and progresses a little bit weekly. http://scottchidester.com/#[[Scenic%20Ridge%20Journal]]