Author Topic: Intermodal Operations on the UPRR Geneva Sub  (Read 2555 times)

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
Intermodal Operations on the UPRR Geneva Sub
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »
Here's part I.  More to follow.

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
Re: Intermodal Operations on the UPRR Geneva Sub
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
  Awesome and great inspiration!  I especially like the restricting signal at the beginning of the video.  Thanks

dave t

bc6

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • PRLX Leasing
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »
Nice video, I love stack trains real & N scale. Its funnie I caught your video, I just made a purchase of a Maxi 1 set and was ready to return them untill I saw your video.

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:49 AM »
The highlight of the video for me was at:36, in all it goodness and glory.....  :D
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

jsoflo

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »
Daryl,

That was great! I love n-scale intermodal-its why I started in N to begin with, its very amenable to long intermodal drags. The layout looks fantastic. Love all the APL containers, I have always been a fan of their blue scheme.

Enjoy!

rochsub

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. 

Here's part II, switching cars at Global III.  Its kinda long and a bit dry, but it gives a good idea of what takes place.

Daryl

Kev1340

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
Just in time to watch parts 1 and 2 together. Good stuff Daryl, thanks for sharing your great layout.

Cheers,

Kev

rochsub

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
Here's the third and final segment.

I think next I'm gonna do a manifest train.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »
Daryl, thanks for sharing these. I'd be interested in hearing a narration on the switching in Part 2 on what's being moved where and why. I've waffled back and forth on location to model and one of the reasons is one area is very heavy in "intermodal operations". I've never been able to wrap my head around it and how it would be applicable in a model setting. Since you're modeling a very busy intermodal terminal, I'd be interested to hear how you plan on operating it, if at all, here or elsewhere,

Phil
- Phil

rochsub

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
Daryl, thanks for sharing these. I'd be interested in hearing a narration on the switching in Part 2 on what's being moved where and why. I've waffled back and forth on location to model and one of the reasons is one area is very heavy in "intermodal operations". I've never been able to wrap my head around it and how it would be applicable in a model setting. Since you're modeling a very busy intermodal terminal, I'd be interested to hear how you plan on operating it, if at all, here or elsewhere,

Phil

OK, here's the scoop on all intermodal operations in a typical day on the UPRR Geneva Sub.
First, here's the track plan to refer to.

1.  Train IG2G3 runs westbound from the East Staging Yard (Global II) and terminates at Rochelle Global III. 
2.  Global III yard crew breaks up IG2G3.
3.  Global III yard crew blocks together cars that will be picked up by incoming trains ICOIPR, IDVCS, and APRGM.  The first two are eastbound intermodal trains while the third is a westbound auto rack.
4.  All three trains, ICOIPR, IDVCS, and APRGM, do not terminate in Global III, but continue on after switching.
5.  The following takes place when each train arrives.
  • Motive power is cut from the train and taken to the engine facilities.
  • The Global III yard crew conducts switching moves to drop cars from and add cars to the train.
  • Motive power is reconnected to the front of the train.  Sometimes its new motive power, sometimes its the same units.
6.  Global III yard crew moves any remaining cars in loading tracks to yard tracks and moves available cars from yard tracks to the loading tracks.
7.  Global III yard crew builds intermodal train IG3G2.
8.  Motive power is connected to IG3G2 and the train is taken eastbound from Global III to Global II (located at east staging)