Author Topic: NP Butterknife GS4 and others.....  (Read 2253 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +466
NP Butterknife GS4 and others.....
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:20:52 AM »
so I though I would post there here also. Started over on the a-boards

Butterkinfe:

Lowey:

Mid 50's Empire Builder:

the Lowey and EB were done by request, I'm going to actually do the Butterknife one of these days....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6788
Re: NP Butterknife GS4 and others.....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »
These fantasy schemes are kinda cool, but I think that the Butterknife scheme will look better on an actual model, if you modify the design to fit better on the skirting.  That is, carrying the lines from the skirting up to the boiler will not look as good at any angle other than 90 degrees to the railhead (i.e., broadside view).  For example, note how your Loewy scheme fits the lines within the area of the skirting.

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
Heh. I bet ConCor will now throw these on their GS4's.

The S.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
These fantasy schemes are kinda cool, but I think that the Butterknife scheme will look better on an actual model, if you modify the design to fit better on the skirting.  That is, carrying the lines from the skirting up to the boiler will not look as good at any angle other than 90 degrees to the railhead (i.e., broadside view).  For example, note how your Loewy scheme fits the lines within the area of the skirting.

I might also move the yellow line and division with the top black area up slightly so that it lines up more with the cab roof and bottom edge of the aerodynamic fairing over the stack and domes.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
I actually like the NP Lowery scheme one.  I'd leave the boiler black though.
~ Matt

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »
They look kind of interesting but just for the record the NP had GS-6's, known as GS-64's and even had smoke deflectors on them ..... which IMHO looked good. See if you could work up a design on one of those. 

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »
They look kind of interesting but just for the record the NP had GS-6's, known as GS-64's and even had smoke deflectors on them ..... which IMHO looked good. See if you could work up a design on one of those.

Pictures?
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »

NP or WP?

Jason

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1593
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
BS on the NP GS's.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:00:15 AM »
 :|       It was the Western Pacific not the NP. Western Pacific was able to get six GS 6 4-8-4 locomotive's numbered 481-486 during the last half of WW II (1943).The War Production Board deverted them from the Southern Pacific's order for GS 6 locomotives (SP Wasn't Pleased). Used at first primarly as passenger power they also ran in freight service near the end of their careers. Not satisfied with the built in smoke deflector arrangement on the smoke stack WP unlike SP added large UP style elephant ear smoke deflectors. This gave a distinctive look to the locomotives. This addation caused a new handrail to be installed on the deflector side,to make up for the original handrail at the front of the boiler side being covered by the deflector. A hole was cutout in each deflector so the front marker lights on the boiler front sides would show thru,and atleast one locomotivethe 485 had the new handrail curved down around the hole,a nice touch. The deflectors resulted in the front steps up to the running boards being narrowed. The last of these locomotives was retired in 1953. SP bought 2 of them for spair parts use ,sans tenders. WP kept those tenders and used them in MOW service one with a rotary snow plow for awhile. One of the two still survives.                                        Con Cor did a mostly accurate model of these locomotives as delivered no deflectors.  Two flaws were wrong driver size,GS 6's had smaller GS 2 driver size ,Con Cor used their GS 4 Mech. Also the pilot truck is a GN S2 loco truck with a side frames,these are easly cut off. Con Cor did make a new single headlight boiler front for this model. It might also be possible to buy the foob UP Con Cor Model which has smoke deflectors and make it a WP locomotive. These models are good rinners,mech is the same as the GN S 2 model with a made in China copy of the original Kato Drive used on Con Cor's first run. Nate Goodman (Nato).  "Closet WP Fanzee".

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 06:28:20 AM »
ok, I think I'm going to start to gear up to do the Butterknife, so first things first: supplies.
What's the best for stripping Kato locomotives, I have done atlas, Bachmann, IM, and a few others, but never Katos

Also who makes the best color match for NP's butterknife anyways? I'm planning on masking and painting the entire thing, except lettering, well mabey masking the lettering also.....I'm insane I know......

Also, I started trying to modify the butterknife to better fit the streamlining and walkways, but I can't seem to get to to look right.
Mike

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »
Yes Yes Yes ..... Western Pacific ........ dumb aussie ....... was looking at a model of a Northern Pacific A5 as I was writing .... sorry all, it is good to see you are all alert with your ears pricked and noses to the wind.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:29:00 PM by havingfuntoo »

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
I think all three look great!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr