Author Topic: A cool realization about Sparrows Point  (Read 1115 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9025
    • Conrail 1285
A cool realization about Sparrows Point
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »
Last night, cruising around with the visiting Russ, we came to a cool realization.

I believe that "Tin Mill Rd" seen here is actually a public road:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=39.226365~-76.489504&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Sucked it was dark last night, but still, we didn't see any "private property" signs, and there were fences / gate houses on either side (indicating that it wasn't plant property).

Now, if you go and DO get hassled, don't say I didn't warn you of the possibility, but it looks like you might be ok.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3220
Re: A cool realization about Sparrows Point
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:08:06 AM »
Put on a hard hat .. a union sticker on your car, no one will know any difference ..

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
I'm not  a steel mill or east coast guy, but what is the deal with this plant? It looks like it is operating in the vertical aerial images, but looks closed and in the process of being dismantled in the oblique views (which presumably are more recent). Is this a place people are trying to document before it get "redeveloped". Just curious.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

asciibaron

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
    • Steve's Happy Fun Time IntarWebs
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »
tin mill is a public road - it's on the Baltimore County master plan for a reclassification as a collector from arterial.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:18:54 PM by asciibaron »
Quote from: Chris333
How long will it be before they show us how to add DCC to a tree?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9025
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »
I'm not  a steel mill or east coast guy, but what is the deal with this plant? It looks like it is operating in the vertical aerial images, but looks closed and in the process of being dismantled in the oblique views (which presumably are more recent). Is this a place people are trying to document before it get "redeveloped". Just curious.

Dave,
The plant is still operational. Far from its original glory and capacity (http://www.makingsteel.com/photo1.html) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kubina/441922330/sizes/l/) but still a going concern.

Various parts have been torn down and then rebuilt, etc... as time has progressed.

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »
Last night, cruising around with the visiting Russ, we came to a cool realization.

I believe that "Tin Mill Rd" seen here is actually a public road:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=39.226365~-76.489504&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Sucked it was dark last night, but still, we didn't see any "private property" signs, and there were fences / gate houses on either side (indicating that it wasn't plant property).

Now, if you go and DO get hassled, don't say I didn't warn you of the possibility, but it looks like you might be ok.

I have been accosted by the mill's police when I stopped to take photos several years ago, even on the main road. There is a sign saying you are entering private property as you drive in from the northeast.

My book on steel mill modeling due in March 2010 has a detailed chapter on Sparrows Point, lately run by Severstal, a Russian firm.  The single blast furnace there can produce more steel than all the earlier BFs. It has set production records. At one point it was the biggest integrated steel mill in the world. Now the coke works is out of service and several of the open hearth and rolling mills are gone, but it is still making steel.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6374
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »
I believe Sparrows Point and Burns Harbor were the only two mills Bethlehem had that were making money at the end....

Others who may know more may correct me...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net