Author Topic: General Tire Akron - Original Plant Build  (Read 3461 times)

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1501
Re: General Tire Akron - Original Plant Build
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2024, 11:22:29 AM »
Are they FS colors? It looks like it: https://www.federalstandardcolor.com/

Federal Standard 16473

Great reference Ed.  Thanks.  Since Vallejo has a wide selection of military colors it may the best starting place since I've kind of settled on the brand as my standard.

Thanks for the MRH color equivalents Tad.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1465
    • Modutrak
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2024, 01:47:11 PM »
+1
Do you have an equivalent color in the Vallejo, Tamiya or any other brand for that matter?  I'm down to my last can of MM.   :scared:

They just moved them to the Testors line and they are still available.  1226 is the number for Dark, I don't have a light can in front of me.  But I just stocked up at the local hobby shop about a month ago. 

EDIT
Looks like 1233 for the light:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/crafts-hobbies/model-kits/paint-brushes/flat-light-aircraft-gray-testors-spray-enamel/p/1041
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 01:51:08 PM by Sokramiketes »

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2024, 08:33:48 PM »
Good to know Mike.  Thanks for the link.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2024, 09:16:16 PM »
+8
After studying photos I've come to the conclusion the bridge between the Old Admin building and the plant was modified many times over the years.  I also knew this would be a fussy build if I tried to be too, well, fussy.  So I took some measurements, drew it up, cut the drawings up for templates and pressed my meager carpentry skills into service.

After a few tweaks I had something that will work.  The bridge must be easily removeable but fit cleanly into place.  I'll cover the wood frame with siding made with the cutter, using the template drawings as a guide.  I think it will work out just fine.  Also note the new tile coping on the Old Admin building.  I like it much better.   

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2024, 05:35:46 PM »
+11
I decided to add a gable roof to the space above the admin bldg.  At one point in its life the bridge had one and I think it adds more interest to the structure than without.  The backer and gable support are in place for this test fit.

I don't know for certain what kind of siding was applied to the bridge so I chose corrugated tin, printed on paper of course.  Doing so required a different window frame treatment.  Stick-building a frame out of .01x.03 styrene, while doable, did not sound like a good time.  I decided to try using the cutter to make the frame as one piece.  It worked out fine.  I continue to be pleasantly surprised at what this thing will do.

I made roof surfaces from .03" sheet styrene, applied them to the bridge and sprayed the surfaces a flat gray to give the surface some tooth.  Many years ago I scratched some ready roof strips from gift wrapping tissue and decided to try again.  Here's the simple cutting jig.

Apply stick glue and lay the ready roof strips.

Trim the strips, apply some glue to the roof edge, wrap the strip around and cut the excess away after the glue sets.  The builders among us will spot a call back in waiting with the valley application.  Let's hope it does not rain in the layout room.

I was going to dilute grimy black hobby paint to color it but thought about those shades of gray alcohol markers on my tool shelf.  Throwing caution to the wind I dug in, purposely trying for a uneven weathered look.  That part was easy.  Trying for a uniform color would have been harder.  A later dullcote app killed the shine.

Siding applied, windows, door, gutters and downspouts installed.  Even a lamp above the door.  I think I'll call it good.  While the build is not as interesting as the prototype I think it adds something to the overall scene.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2024, 07:48:36 PM »
I decided to add a gable roof to the space above the admin bldg.  At one point in its life the bridge had one and I think it adds more interest to the structure than without.  The backer and gable support are in place for this test fit.

Not to be nitpicky, but it'd look more realistic if the walkway side went through the roof parapet on the brick building, instead of vice-versa. Right now it sorta gives the impression the parapet goes straight through the walkway -- meaning people using it have to climb over a 3 foot wall. Engineering-wise, having the wall through the parapet means a stronger floor support for the walkway and no gaps or water leaks from the brick wall penetrating the walkway wall. You could just cut away the parapet where it touches the walkway and extend the wallkway sides butting against it.
Just a building engineering comment.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 07:53:41 PM by OldEastRR »

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2024, 08:19:19 PM »
I understand your point.  The best photo I had to go by is here:  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=58160.msg804080#msg804080
I built what I thought I saw.  We can pretend the bridge structure really does go through the parapet wall since the tile coping stops at the bridge wall.  It's an odd construct no matter how you look at it.  Bottom line:  It is what it is and I'll move on from there.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +598
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2024, 09:01:33 PM »
+3

Jumping in here just to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this build thread.  8)

Carry on.

Mark

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2024, 07:59:20 PM »
+1
Thanks Mark.  As you can probably tell I enjoy building structures.  Sharing with others is fun too.

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2024, 09:59:37 PM »
I’ve followed along the whole thread.

I’ve enjoyed watching your build and I have learned some things.

Thanks for sharing,

Tad
Tad

The “All Day & Night” Railway Company

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2024, 03:42:08 PM »
You're very welcome Tad.  And I'm glad to hear you picked up some tips.  TRW at it's best.

SAH

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: Today at 12:32:22 PM »
+3
After a few enjoyable railroad oriented adventures it's time to get back to General Tire. 

I attended Chicagoland RPM a few weeks ago.  Great people, great modeling.  Always a good time.  I used General Tire as the subject for a presentation on using a computerized cutter to build large industrial buildings.  It seemed to be well received.  A number of TRW members were in attendance.  And the N scale ModuTrak gang had a large layout in a dedicated space this year.  As usual they showed off N scale modeling to its best advantage at an event where the vast majority of attendees model in HO.  Always an inspiration to see this layout in person.  Here's Bill Denton's New Lisbon, WI module. 

The following weekend I attended the NKPH&TS convention in Angola, IN.  Riding behind the 765 on a crisp, clear fall day, standing in an open baggage car door.  Doesn't get much better than that.

Needless to say my railroading enthusiasm battery has been reenergized. 
I wanted a way to securely lift the General Tire original plant building in it's entirety.  My backdrop is not rigid, making it possible to slip my fingers behind the structure.

The proto photo shows structures built perpendicular and off the back of the main building, creating a way to view block the back of the building with the sky.  I can fill the gap between the end of the bridge installation with the view block in this manner.  Here's a test build up.

The fill structure itself is done the same way as the bridge but this time I used individual blocks to fill the void.  I didn't want to press my woodworking skills by trying to fill the cavity with a single piece of wood.  Three blocks and lots of paper filler did the trick.  Wood screws securely hold the structure in place.

Now I have a firm thumb pressure point for lifting.

Here's the shed rood installed.  Not bad.  Next up is the carbon black conveyor and perhaps a dust collection cyclone between the bridge and the hoist head space.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #57 on: Today at 02:00:14 PM »
The dark "foundation" the walkway sits on over the shorter building makes it look like it's floating off the roof, but that is the only thing I see that isn't spectacularly done. That's a phenomenal building.
Peter Pfotenhauer

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +633
« Reply #58 on: Today at 05:19:03 PM »
That building is coming together really well. I’m not sure if it’s the angle of the photo, but it feels like I’m taking a fresh breath of industrial smog looking at that image.