Author Topic: Noob Scratch Builder Attempts N Box Cab Loco  (Read 1643 times)

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +360
Re: Noob Scratch Builder Attempts N Box Cab Loco
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2024, 04:02:53 PM »
+7
After a bit of a delay, I managed to put a few finishing touches on my inaugural scratch-building endeavour. 

I nestled a hand-held signal lantern on the floor of the front stoop:

… and put a second lantern with a red lens on the rear:

I also installed a Microtrains coupler, and shortly thereafter, stumbled upon a tiny piece of rolling stock that seemed like it could be just the thing to haul around behind this diminutive locomotive. 

I found this at a train show some time ago - it was getting batted about in the bottom of a box full of used N scale track and turnouts, had lost its wheels who knows when, and had unusual formed-wire couplers, the type of which I had never seen before.   The vendor willingly tossed it in with a couple of tank cars that I purchased from him, and I pretty much forgot all about it.

I posted a pic here on TRW, and folks informed me that it’s an item from the MinitrainS product line (European, I believe). 

I removed the wire configurations, managed to equip it with a single Microtrains coupler, and easily popped in a set of spare wheels.  Being so small, it needed a bit of additional weight, so I cut thin strips of lead tape and rolled them up to simulate a load of steel coils.

Here’s a short, hastily shot demonstration video of the final makeup, running on my workbench test oval:

/>
The only thing left to do is locate some white water-slide decal lettering so that the road insignia can be finalized, but I’m afraid that will be dependent upon a serendipitous find at some future train show.  Other than that, I think I can call this project “done”.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 04:45:33 PM by Dwight in Toronto »

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2024, 09:47:37 AM »
@Jim Starbuck … private email sent.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2193
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2024, 12:23:51 PM »
+1
Email sent
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1730
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2024, 12:08:32 AM »
Well done Dwight! 

This looks really good.

Craig

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2024, 07:11:45 AM »
Hey Craig, thanks for having a look and commenting.

This introduction to scratch building has given me the confidence to tackle a structure as a next project.  I’m looking at the Markham station - built 1870 for Grand Trunk Railway. It’s a busy spot these days as a GO stop, has been lovingly restored and maintained throughout its existence, is not overly complicated modelling-wise, and I can be there in 15 minutes to take pics and measurements. 

https://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/events/markham-1/markham-village-train-station/Markham-Village-Train-Station-5.png

https://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/events/markham-1/markham-village-train-station/Markham-Village-Train-Station-3.jpg

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1730
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2024, 09:39:55 AM »
Hey Craig, thanks for having a look and commenting.

This introduction to scratch building has given me the confidence to tackle a structure as a next project.  I’m looking at the Markham station - built 1870 for Grand Trunk Railway. It’s a busy spot these days as a GO stop, has been lovingly restored and maintained throughout its existence, is not overly complicated modelling-wise, and I can be there in 15 minutes to take pics and measurements. 

https://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/events/markham-1/markham-village-train-station/Markham-Village-Train-Station-5.png

https://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/events/markham-1/markham-village-train-station/Markham-Village-Train-Station-3.jpg

Oh that will be a cool project!!

I need to use the lathe idea. Love the bell and tanks.

Craig
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 10:04:37 AM by craigolio1 »

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2024, 05:23:27 PM »
+5
I closed off this build just about two weeks ago, saying that the only thing left to do was to find just the right water-slide decal lettering for the road name - a dubious, long-shot proposition that I thought would “be dependent upon a serendipitous find at some future train show”.

I am thrilled to report that Jim Starbuck generously offered to help me out by custom-printing what turned out to be exactly what I had in mind!  We exchanged a few email messages, and within about a week I had the perfectly executed, commercial-grade professional results in-hand.  Thank you Mr. Starbuck … you’re a stellar guy indeed!

Apologies if folks are maybe getting a bit tired of seeing this model, but I felt it only proper to wrap things up by showing the final result.  By the way, the “JMC&M” insignia is simply the initials of our four grandkids:

And what the heck - here’s a final video clip demonstrating the forward, reverse, and red marker lamps:

/>

There’s a bit of red LED bleeding through into the back-up/reverse headlight housing that needs tidied up, but I think I can say that this build is now complete.  Thanks for following.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2193
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2024, 06:34:43 PM »
+1
That looks great Dwight! Glad I could help.
Many, many times I’ve been the recipient of the generosity, talent and knowledge here.
Railwire man, that’s how we do!
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure