Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/9/24  (Read 2400 times)

EJN

• Crew
  • Respect: +233
Re: Weekend Update 6/9/24
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2024, 06:49:04 PM »
+13
Run for your lives! This is not a drill!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Illinois is experiencing both 17-year and 13-year Cicadas emerging this year.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2385
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2024, 07:07:49 PM »

This past week our dog discovered the crunchy goodness of cicadas.  :facepalm:
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2024, 08:03:31 PM »

Well the Cicadas have this to contend with, https://www.npr.org/2024/06/06/nx-s1-4994999/cicada-fungus-std-zombies

jwaldo

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2024, 08:16:59 PM »
+2
I asked a local cicada what they think of these developments. They said, and I quote, "EeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.'

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +578
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2024, 09:38:15 PM »
Interesting youtube that includes slow motion video on how Cicadas make their noise.
It even has a train reference saying one of the sounds they make is similar to metal wheels sliding across rails.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2024, 10:01:23 PM »
Interesting youtube that includes slow motion video on how Cicadas make their noise.
It even has a train reference saying one of the sounds they make is similar to metal wheels sliding across rails.
Destin says its like a Jar lid but the Tymbal acts more like a bendy straw IMHO.
Smarter every Day is a fantastic channel.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1079
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2024, 11:17:33 PM »
+1

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Send those photos to Gozer, so MTL can do a commemorative boxcar.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +412
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2024, 02:01:04 AM »
+10
Completed the weathering on my O-gauge NP log train. Now in search of some appropriate log material. Looks like Oregon Grape branches may work as they are very straight and have a fine "bark" that should look good scaled down. Still need to cut a wooden caboose down to match NP's shorty caboose to round it off.

Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2024, 09:17:20 AM »
+8

A few years ago, after acquiring an Ender3 FDM printer, I put it to work making a military train.  Since I was on a tight budget, it was an idea solution since I could build the cars for about $5 each. The STLs were downloaded from Thingiverse.  The train demonstrates the make up of a typical WWII medium tank company.  The only piece I was missing was a M32 tank recovery vehicle which was beyond the Ender's abilities.  The train runs really well and has collected many a good comment at shows.  Perhaps my biggest complaint was the flatcar bolsters allowed the trucks to rotate 360 degree freely.  This made putting the train on the tracks a bit of a pain. 

Meanwhile my CAD skills were developed from the ground up, one day I started to hack the flatcar STL so to limit the truck rotation.  Then it was, well, the cars also sit high, so lets fix that as well.  Then this Christmas Santa delivered a Photon.  Ok, there's my M32.  A resin printed flatcar suddenly looked pretty clunky.  I remixed the flat to more closely resemble a 50 ton car built by Ralston Steel Car Co, in Columbus, Ohio starting about 1909. 

http://columbusrailroads.com/Ralston%20photos/ralston-035-1909-MKT.JPG

Here is old vs new.  For now, the M32 is just sitting on the car and so is missing the wood blocking.

The car does have about a half ounce of lead in it.  The decking is printed, very thin and glued on.  I'm currently debating how to anchor the tank to the car, historical photos show many different approaches, from chains to the sides, to chains to steel plates that are bolted to the wood deck. 

Bob

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2024, 01:23:26 PM »
+12
More work on T-scale "Proto-Track", this time using more common/readily available stainless steel rectangular wire (30 Gauge wide-- 0.25mm).  And I made it as flex-track strips.  The idea is to put down the roadbed and lay rail into it, with soldered joints (but allowing for expansion..)  It "might" work?  Sortof like cheating at hand-laid track.

The standard T Gauge brand Flexitrack is on the left, ProtoTrack on the right.

This is the un-painted ProtoFlex.

I also finally got the B&O station wrapped up.  I never really figured out why it "sunk" into the base.  So, I just removed the base and made it a separate part and "voila" fixed.  I'm still scratching my noggin on that one.  It has clear inserts for the windows as well.  This is the version with the original Yankee gutters.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 01:47:58 PM by Jesse6669 »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3514
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2024, 03:56:51 PM »
+4
@Lemosteam
I hope those aren't N scale... if so, you are insane.
I love it, keep it up!  :D

@nscaler711 , Yes, it is all N Scale, no enlarged dime: