Author Topic: Layout electrical surge protection  (Read 332 times)

cec209

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
Layout electrical surge protection
« on: May 07, 2024, 10:22:35 PM »
I'm planning to plug several wall warts and power sources into a surge protection power strip on the house power side of the electrical system.

Any suggestions for the joule rating I should consider?  I know I could just unplug after each running session but for the times that's not practical (or forgotten) I'd like not to fry anything from a lightning strike or downed power line surge.

Charlie
Charlie

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +998
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
Re: Layout electrical surge protection
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 06:53:05 AM »
Isn't Joule Rating a measure of what it protects you against? 
(instead of a measure of how manly things it protects..)

If I'm correct then the highest number you can find in the form factor your looking for.

But your comment about unplugging when your not using it, is the best solution..

I was looking at those remote controlled outlets for easier On/Off options, but would a lightning strike 'pass through' one of those in the off position...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 08:16:08 AM by learmoia »

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +497
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 07:32:42 PM »
+4
Surge protectors are classified as Type I, Type III and Type III.   Type III is 'point of use', for example the type found in some power strips or plug-in devices.  Type III will provide some protection to more sensitive electronics in a minor surge event,  but otherwise affords the least protection of the three.  Type II usually offers a lot more protection but needs to be installed in an electrical panel, so therefore requires an electrician (or a very competent DIYer).   (For those types, I recommend the type that plugs into your panel like a circuit breaker, if your panel has the space, all else such as ratings being equal.)  Type I can go on the utility side of your home's main circuit breaker and is therefore beyond the scope of what anyone should be advising on this forum, although a Type I product can also be installed in the same place as a Type II.

I frequently install Type II devices as part of my work; I've never really noticed any joule ratings for those, and I'm inclined to agree with those commentators online who say a joule rating is meaningless marketing for Type III devices.  I think the more meaningful rating is the kilo-amps (kA, yes, thousands of amps) that the device can carry and still function.   For Type III devices I would look for devices that provide such a rating and consider any joule rating only secondarily, since I'm not even sure joule ratings will be apples to apples.

The effectiveness of any SPD goes up with the kA (and/or the response time rating, but they probably won't tell you that) and goes down with the severity of the surge event.  Many devices that would do some good given a somewhat distant lightning strike, for example, may not do any good if lightning strikes right next to your house.  Similar with surges from human made sources (i.e. the power company).  So there's really no way to tell how much of a joule rating or kA rating you 'need', it depends entirely on how unlucky you are with any surges.  Expect higher rated devices to cost more.   You will generally get what you pay for, but may never need what you pay for, just like with insurance policies.

There is no harm, except perhaps wasted $$, in piling up multiple SPDs; each will provide more protection. Say, a Type II in the electrical panel and a Type III that you plug the layout into.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +595
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 10:23:51 AM »
+3
For a remote meteorological station (with tower) that we had set up (now decades ago), we had frequent outages caused by lightning strikes.  First, they installed a surge protector. Didn't help.  Then, they installed an "uninterruptable" power supply after the surge protector, which also had surge protection in it. But it kept getting "interrupted" by lightning strikes.  So, they put a second uninterruptable power supply with additional surge protection in series with the first one.  That finally gave us uninterrupted data.  That's THREE surge protectors in series.  And, not cheap ones, either.

Hopefully, technology has improved a bit since then.

But, I unplug stuff when I am not using it - and I stop using it when we have thunder storms during my "train time". 

And, I do mean UNPLUG, not just throw an on/off switch connected to the wall outlet. Lightning voltages can arc substantial distances.