Author Topic: New Bluford Shops "Dented" Gondolas  (Read 7900 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1089
Re: New Bluford Shops "Dented" Gondolas
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2024, 08:20:30 PM »
@Bluford Craig any chance you can tease some roadnames that *may* be available in future releases?
Please say "Erie".

But roadnames notwithstanding....Thanks to Bluford for a great car.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6414
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2024, 09:20:02 PM »
That's some fantastic work.

One of the reasons I prefer the old Precision N scale resin cast B&O Wagontops over the new Fox Valley cars is the resin cast shells get the oil-canning right.

At $30+ a throw I won't be buying many of them, but I'll probably pick up one.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2024, 08:25:18 PM »

One of the reasons I prefer the old Precision N scale resin cast B&O Wagontops over the new Fox Valley cars is the resin cast shells get the oil-canning right.

Lee
I think you mean 'Fine-N-Scale',  at least, they are the ones still making those resin castings.  I also have several of the PRR cars, and a couple of their ATSF Caswell gondolas.  They make into very nice models, and detail you don't get in RTR cars.  Well, until now, with the Bluford gondolas.

https://finenscale.com/rollingstock.html
Tom D.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1468
    • Modutrak
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2024, 10:40:00 PM »

Lee

Riveted boxcars tended to be straight. It was the welded cars that “oilcanned” from new.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3605
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2024, 12:20:39 PM »
Riveted boxcars tended to be straight. It was the welded cars that “oilcanned” from new.

Except these. These are why the FNS cars have the oilcanning and why I love them too. Wonder how they pulled that off in the mold masters…

You can see it a bit here.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 12:27:34 PM by Lemosteam »

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1478
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2024, 06:10:37 PM »
+1
Except these. These are why the FNS cars have the oilcanning and why I love them too. Wonder how they pulled that off in the mold masters…

You can see it a bit here.

Okay...I've got probably a dozen (maybe more) various FNS car kits that I've virtually forgotten about...until NOW!  This inspires me to get 'em out and finish 'em since in my reference videos of UP trains, there are plenty of these distinctive eastern road boxcars being pulled both ways through Echo and Weber Canyons in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

I'd forgotten about the "oilcanning" on the FNS cars...and also how damn good they look!

So good that I should probably order a couple of dozen more before FNS decides to suddenly go out of business...along with more UP B50-25 Express Boxcars and PFE 50' Wood Freight Reefers.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 03:30:19 PM by robert3985 »

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1184
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2024, 02:07:55 AM »
+2
Okay...I've got probably a dozen (maybe more) various FNS car kits that I've virtually forgotten about...until NOW!  This inspires me to get 'em out and finish 'em since in my reference videos of UP trains, there are plenty of these distinctive eastern road boxcars being pulled both ways through Echo and Weber Canyons in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

I'd forgotten about the "oilcanning" on the FNS cars...and also how damn good they look!

So good that I should probably order a couple of dozen more before FNS decides to suddenly go out of business...along with more UP B50-25 Express Boxcars and PFE 50' Wood Freight Reefers.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

You should, they make great single evening projects. Trim the flash, apply the details. Quick rattle can of Tamiya Oxide Red, slide on the decals.
-Al

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1468
    • Modutrak
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2024, 08:31:16 AM »
+1

It was worked into the photo etched sides in the master. 

NorthWestGN

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
Just noticed these - Predented Gons!
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2024, 05:38:14 PM »
+1
Saw this ad for what I used to try to do with a soldering iron in HO and Failing!

https://bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_009.htm

6 Road numbers in GN too!

Brent
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 01:06:03 AM by GaryHinshaw »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
Re: Just noticed these - Predented Gons!
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2024, 06:49:13 PM »
We had a discussion about these gons in the spring-
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57817.0

Also one of my favorites among new offerings.  Hoping they do another run with Erie (not EL) lettering.
Tom D.

NorthWestGN

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
Re: Just noticed these - Predented Gons!
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2024, 07:20:00 PM »
+2
Thanks Tom,

I did go back a bit, but not far enough... my apologies everyone. It'll be interesting to see how these look with out any weathering, like a Maaco respray over a dented car?

Some of Microtrains ink jet printed cars make a pretty good representation of wavy, dented panels... without the waves or dents....

Brent
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 07:21:58 PM by NorthWestGN »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2279
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2024, 12:08:26 PM »
I love these deep fishbelly gons . AHM and ConCor were my source of them , but the lettering was awfully awful to be kind . In HO I used to use a soldering iron to dent them , but never in N did I try . This will be costly , but I have to have them for my 50's era dresser draw , yes the dresser is 50's era as well . :facepalm:

Richie Dost

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2024, 04:03:26 PM »
I love these deep fishbelly gons . AHM and ConCor were my source of them , but the lettering was awfully awful to be kind . In HO I used to use a soldering iron to dent them , but never in N did I try . This will be costly , but I have to have them for my 50's era dresser draw , yes the dresser is 50's era as well . :facepalm:
And the Con-cor's are short and only have 13 panels (instead of 15).  I've been on the lookout for prototypes with 13 panels, so I'll have something to do with my old Con-cors when the Blufords are delivered.

Hoping to see Bluford announce these in Erie soon.
Tom D.

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
    • blog
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2024, 05:20:12 PM »

JoeD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1171
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2024, 06:00:38 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how they print on that surface.  Pad printing and uneven surfaces can be a challenge...I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for SP Friendly gons...very excited about these.

Joe

in my civvies here.  I only represent my grandmothers home made Mac and Cheese on Railwire.