Author Topic: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?  (Read 3428 times)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
Re: What eastern roads would you want to see on the IMRC 1937 AAR boxcar?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2024, 06:20:22 PM »
Looking a little closer at what I would like to see, and what matches the details of the IMRC car (IE: no new or aftermarket tooling)
also trying to keep close to your ESM wheelhouse.

Canadian Pacific

1937 10' IH cars with round corner 5/5 ends, 7 rung ladders, and Murphy Panel Roofs

CP 248350-248999
CP 249000-249499
CP 249500-250499
CP 250500-251249
CP 251250-252199

Intermountain has done the Spans the World scheme several times. I would like to see the 1951 Stepped Scheme and the As delivered (pre 1947) scheme with no logo done.

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=974&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CP
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=976&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=CP

Note Protocraft focuses on the earlier cars with Square corner ends and flat panel roofs.

New York Central

Would like to see the as delivered scheme without the black background. I will just link to protocraft since they do a good job representing the series.

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=775&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=NYC

A Few other Schemes I would love to see but may be beyond your interest.

Bessemer & Lake Erie

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=922&Categoryid=20

Illinois Terminal

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=6227&Categoryid=20
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=999&Categoryid=20

Minneapolis & St Louis Original and Green schemes.

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=619&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=Mstl
https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=618&Categoryid=20&This_Sub_Sub_Category=Mstl

Soo Line

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=1004&Categoryid=20

Wheeling & Lake Erie

https://www.protocraft.com/category.cfm?ItemID=956&Categoryid=20

I didn't include any 10'6" modified 1937 cars (1944 AAR) not sure if you are interested in producing both?

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4694
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2024, 07:33:18 PM »
NYC white oval, ITC, M&StL and Soo all have been released, or announced and canceled. The Canadian roads haven’t done well for us in recent years. B&LE and CGW are possibilities.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2024, 08:05:52 PM »
I have a CP stepped logo kit sitting besides my keyboard right now. I know they came in at least two numbers.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2024, 08:13:20 PM »
NYC white oval, ITC, M&StL and Soo all have been released, or announced and canceled. The Canadian roads haven’t done well for us in recent years. B&LE and CGW are possibilities.

Excited to see what you come up with.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +754
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2024, 08:17:41 PM »
I would think that schemes never released as regular IMRC releases would do best. IMRC has tooled enough variations in parts that most schemes can be replicated prototypically.

Would you consider doing new roadnumbers for those roadnames/paint schemes that have been previously released?

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2024, 08:31:38 PM »
Would you consider doing new roadnumbers for those roadnames/paint schemes that have been previously released?

It’s very unlikely.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1202
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2024, 09:22:20 PM »
One of the things that kept me from buying IM box cars was that many of the paint schemes were as-delivered.  I would be in for numerous 50s-60s era repaints for pretty much any road name.

It's too bad Canadian roads don't sell.  CP and CN are two of the top road names I need for a prototypical CGW consist.  I don't think people understand how much lumber and related products from Canada their favorite railroad probably hauled.

Jason
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 09:24:42 PM by wcfn100 »

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2024, 09:36:58 PM »
I model SP in the 50s, so any eastern road painted for that time frame.  Definitely prefer kits, as fixing the errors of factory guys is just extra work. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 09:39:47 PM by mark.hinds »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2024, 10:39:11 PM »
One of the things that kept me from buying IM box cars was that many of the paint schemes were as-delivered.  I would be in for numerous 50s-60s era repaints for pretty much any road name.

It's too bad Canadian roads don't sell.  CP and CN are two of the top road names I need for a prototypical CGW consist.  I don't think people understand how much lumber and related products from Canada their favorite railroad probably hauled.

Jason
The last time IMRC ran the modified 1937 cars (it was maybe 5? years ago- seems like it was pre-covid), IM only got enough pre-orders for several Canadian roads and ATSF (and maybe one other US road?). So, maybe Canadian roads sell better than you think. 
But you are right. One problem is that the web has deserted us. If I search for Canadian railroad cars in the US, what I find are thousands of photos of CN post the IC merger, etc. Did find a few photos of refrigerator cars in the 50s.
That said, I might be in for a couple CN cars with green maple leaf heralds 1945 or 54). Or have those already been done?

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2024, 12:44:08 AM »
The last time IMRC ran the modified 1937 cars (it was maybe 5? years ago- seems like it was pre-covid), IM only got enough pre-orders for several Canadian roads and ATSF (and maybe one other US road?). So, maybe Canadian roads sell better than you think. 
But you are right. One problem is that the web has deserted us. If I search for Canadian railroad cars in the US, what I find are thousands of photos of CN post the IC merger, etc. Did find a few photos of refrigerator cars in the 50s.
That said, I might be in for a couple CN cars with green maple leaf heralds 1945 or 54). Or have those already been done?

I didn't say the Canadian roads don't sell in general, I said they don't sell well for us in recent times.  We had some early success with the XIH painted in Canadian roads but the later releases we still have stock on.  Haven't given up entirely as one of the schemes in the next well car release is CP.

IMRC has done multiple releases and schemes of the CN maple leafs.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2024, 02:08:40 AM »
It is possible to countersink the 1025 boxes.  I do it all the time.  But the secret is to do it by hand - no tool involved.  Just take a 3/32 inch drill bit, and twirl it between your fingers, don't let it dig in.  Just scrape the plastic away.  It only takes a few seconds.

I use J I Morris flathead 00-90 screws, but imagine any kind would work.  The head still sticks up just a little, because the head angle and drill angle don't match, but it gives a lot more clearance.
N Kalanaga
Be well

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2024, 11:40:03 AM »

Jason

Its a common issue in general not helped by Model RR media. A lot of rule of thumb guides will say to the effect of have %10 of your stock be home road with the %80 surrounding roads and %10 being "far away" roads. While the reality is that it more depends on what the industries along the line are ordering loads from. Best example is the locals to where I model where you would be VERY hard pressed to find a single boxcar that did not belong to a Canadian or PNW road despite the road in question being a few miles south of NYC. Because the industries were Boat factories, Furniture Factories, oversized Marinas, and the wood products needed for those don't originate on the East Coast.
-Al

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2248

Richie Dost

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2024, 02:09:42 PM »
I didn't say the Canadian roads don't sell in general, I said they don't sell well for us in recent times.  We had some early success with the XIH painted in Canadian roads but the later releases we still have stock on.  Haven't given up entirely as one of the schemes in the next well car release is CP.

IMRC has done multiple releases and schemes of the CN maple leafs.
I apologize Bryan. I did not intend my comment as a refutation of what you said, just an observation that Canadian roads were popular enough to make it through the IM pre-order process. And thanks for confirming that the maple leaf schemes have been done previously. I'll pick up a couple on eBay if and when I "need" them. I hope this project works out for both ESMC and IMRC.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2024, 04:17:04 PM »
MEC, B&M, D&H, BAR (not red, white and blue).

What he said, especially brown BAR cars.