Author Topic: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC  (Read 5633 times)

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +88
    • blog
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 07:22:40 PM by GaryHinshaw »

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
Re: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 09:33:18 AM »
It looks like they're saving the PRSL and santa fe zebra stripe rdcs for the second run. Didn't Kato do something similar?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5132
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 09:46:21 AM »
+1
Wow, that's interesting!  After the Kato RDC fiasco, Rapido decided to jump on the N scale RDC bandwagon.  Well the fiasco was likely self-inflicted by Kato by not making B&M (and probably few other roadnames) RDCs. Looks like Rapido figured that out and will produce B&M units in the initial run.  But I have such a large stash of Kato RDCs that I don't think I'll be buying these (except maybe a token one).
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 09:47:27 AM »
It looks like they're saving the PRSL and santa fe zebra stripe rdcs for the second run. Didn't Kato do something similar?

Kato had two runs planed but produced way too many of the first and they sat in stock for years and Japan said no thank you to a second run.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 10:50:34 AM »
Interesting.  I regret not buying some RDC's when the Kato ones were being sold at a steep discount years ago.  I've been looking for the Kato CNJ 2-pack.  recently and missed out on some recent eBay auctions, including the most recent one that sold for a very reasonable price.    Hopefully Rapido will offer CNJ in a future run. 

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
+1
Interesting.  I regret not buying some RDC's when the Kato ones were being sold at a steep discount years ago.  I've been looking for the Kato CNJ 2-pack.  recently and missed out on some recent eBay auctions, including the most recent one that sold for a very reasonable price.    Hopefully Rapido will offer CNJ in a future run.

Sounds stupid, but maybe we should get some ppl together try to encourage a wholesaler to run CNJ or PRSL. Because I can already see it on the wall. "For some reason we had all these roads popular with people in the office and they didn't sell, guess N scale is a lost cause"- while choosing to not do the schemes that pop out to the casual crowd like the one off Santa Fe or the multitude of NJ ones that wandered around the Tri-State in the 70s and 80s.
-Al

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 11:35:21 AM »
Until Rapido demonstrates they can produce N scale items without screwing it up I will expect it to be screwed up. Interesting choice on the Santa Fe.  Maybe they will do the war bonnet nose in a second run. You can’t run all the most popular road names in the first run. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
Until Rapido demonstrates they can produce N scale items without screwing it up I will expect it to be screwed up. Interesting choice on the Santa Fe.  Maybe they will do the war bonnet nose in a second run. You can’t run all the most popular road names in the first run.

While true, they keep on harping that this needs to do well if they are to continue making any more N. But there isn't really anything in the lineup that I feel pops out to the casual modeller.
-Al

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +518
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2023, 12:42:40 PM »
+3
Hmmm..... I'll buy one, if nothing else to support Rapido. I think they are doing a good job. Although, around here, I feel like I'm the minority.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2023, 12:50:02 PM »
+1
November Rapido: We're going to stop making N scale freight cars because they aren't profitable.
December Rapido: We're going to make Phase 2 of a model Kato did 15 years ago and sold poorly. (Likely due to road name choice)

They are certainly starting with a better choice in road names so that should help..

A Roger Williams would be cool

Incorrect!  This announcement includes the first Phase 2 RDCs to be offered in N Scale, which is really the big news here, as well as the DCC/Sound option.

Tim

Fixed..

« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 04:25:37 PM by learmoia »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1348
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 12:56:17 PM »
+7
Hmmm..... I'll buy one, if nothing else to support Rapido. I think they are doing a good job. Although, around here, I feel like I'm the minority.

The Rapido hate is strong on TRW.  My Rapido products have been pretty nice.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1287
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2023, 01:12:38 PM »
If they do not follow these up with Boise Budds, I'm going to slap Jeremy back into the Headroom TV.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

dangerboy81

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 01:24:50 PM »
+2

I'll probably get one for the same reason. Who else is going to do Canadian specific stuff? My Rapido stuff has been hit or miss, nothing unsurmountable, but I guess the argument is at those prices, they shouldn't have any problems. My biggest gripe is they haven't released anything in a while I have wanted. I have an ACR van ordered, waiting for the second run -8's to arrive, and the Procor covered hoppers, I'll probably get a few of those.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 01:25:43 PM »

You probably don't own any of their LRC cars, lol.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 01:47:28 PM »
+3

Yeah well when you denigrate the members of this site after they point out issues with a certain reefer people tend to get a bit salty. And while I have had some good Rapido releases I have also had some awful turds and sadly their attitude about it does nothing to ingratiate them with me or make up for their poor prior behavior.