Author Topic: Prototypes for New MTL 65' Mill Gondola  (Read 864 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
Prototypes for New MTL 65' Mill Gondola
« on: October 02, 2023, 08:29:55 PM »
+4
So, with the new MTL 65' Gondola (apparently based on the ATSF GA-48 Gondola design), I became curious how many railroads had gondolas similar to this model, so this led me to the RMJ article that was triggered by the release of the Athearn HO model (RMJ Feb 2006).

As an interesting side note, the Athearn HO 65' Mill Gon model (and presumably their N scale version) are (as suggested by an article in RMJ Feb 2006 issue) based on the nearly identical design on the ATSF GA-55 65' Mill Gondolas.

(I think there was a general discussion of this model when it was announced, but I failed in several searches to find it.  :facepalm:)

It seems that this was a very good choice for a model, as in 1941 the AAR adopted the ATSF GA-55 gondola design as a "Recommended Practice Design" - as a result, many roads had gondolas based on this design.

Although N&W did not build or have built any gons based on this design, they did inherit gons based on this design from the Wabash in the 1964 merger - so I will watch for those.  8) (over 130 of these were on the N&W roster in 1969).

I put together this chart to help me watch for roads that I might want as they are released:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Credit for this info goes to the author of the RMJ article (Richard H. Hendrickson).

I might have made some errors in this chart so let me know and I will try to fix where applicable.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
Re: Prototypes for New MTL 65' Mill Gondola
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 09:34:53 PM »
Thanks for posting, CN had 200 and they made it into the noodle. Looking forward to getting one or two when MTL gets around to doing them.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 10:05:53 PM »
+1
I'll take Reading and CNJ please.
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 10:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the list!

It is still important to check photos/diagrams for various roads and classes.  For instance, the ATSF Ga-91 of 1955 was different from earlier classes- most noticeable difference being that the Ga-91s had corrugated side panels.

But that said, I am surprised how many copies there were.  The crew at MTL will be busy making big mill gons for quite a while.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1009
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 10:45:38 PM »
Huh... So PC is a true foobie, but CNJ, EL or RDG would be been fair game.

I assume NC&STL didn't have the Dixie Line Logo.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 12:37:53 PM »
Probably a safe bet that some of the EL, CNJ, and RDG cars ended up with CR markings either in revenue service or as MOW cars. I'll have to do more digging when I'm home and have access to my CR renumbering guides.
Sean

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 06:38:25 PM »
Best I could find on the photo site: https://conrailphotos.thecrhs.org/photos/el-14762