Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/10/23  (Read 2876 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3557
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Weekend Update 9/10/23
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2023, 09:27:48 PM »
It looks to me like the height of the proto structure is greater than is shown in you rendering. I’d also suggest that the ice cart track is probably around 2 foot gauge - maybe print it as part of deck rather than messing with Z gauge track. Or are you thinking of having the ice carts actually move on the deck? In addition the ice cart rails heads are probably flush with the wood (I presume) decking so that the working surface is as flat as possible for safety (less tripping hazards).

@Angus Shops , I am selectively compressing the design. If you look closely, there is an upper and lower deck on the platform, thinking lower for the chute and access tips the roof of the car, and the upper for ice transport. Huntington was a huge facility, tracks on both sides, chutes and carts on both sides, and dual loading conveyors. My layou does not need that, and ly layout is fictional as well.

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 09:33:23 PM »
@Angus Shops , I am selectively compressing the design. If you look closely, there is an upper and lower deck on the platform, thinking lower for the chute and access tips the roof of the car, and the upper for ice transport. Huntington was a huge facility, tracks on both sides, chutes and carts on both sides, and dual loading conveyors. My layou does not need that, and ly layout is fictional as well.

Interesting - two decks! And I completely get your point. But I still feel like the proportions are a little off. Maybe shorten the distance between the supporting columns?

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2023, 09:40:48 PM »
If you look, the pillars are about 50 feet apart, as the cars I assume are 40. I plan to employ my own design for chutes and access to the car roofs.  It will be my own adaptation that I think will be plausible.  I don’t have a lot of room where it will be going.

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +648
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2023, 12:29:56 AM »
in particular some Canadian specific road names/business names (not much hope for this)

Allen over at Black Cat kindly printed out n scale versions of some of his HO tank car decals for me a few years ago... BA bowtie and roundel, IOX, CIL, McColl Frontenac, etc. In the same boat as you though, not many options for different styles of tank cars.
Because why not...

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3699
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2023, 01:20:40 AM »
+15
This weekend our area is hosting Vanrail 2023, a bi-annual ops weekend held for the first time since the pandemic.  I hosted a session this morning and had friends Michael (Dayliner) and John as home crew, and two guests from out of town.

Work Extra CN3218 is offloading rail and ties at Septimus:

Chetwynd Yard during the session.  Eng 570 is pulling loads from the Canfor mill:

The Septimus Turn creeps past occupied outfit cars at Bond:

The Dawson Creek Switcher is eastbound at Progress:

The Septimus Turn is returning to Chetwynd with cars from Taylor, Fort St. John and Fort Nelson:

Crossing the Pine River en route back to Chetwynd:

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2023, 01:57:33 PM »
+11
One more deck extension to print for four lengths, glue them together, sand the deck surface flat, and after paint, I’m calling the main icing platform structure done. Carts and chutes to follow. The pillars are on 3mm magnets for easy removal and basswood 8 x 12’s are on the way.

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2023, 02:09:48 PM »
This was a happy day in Greater Vancouver, indeed! I ended up being the first paying customer, and got to watch Bill fumbling through the new point of sale system! Good time for all!

Dave

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2802
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2023, 04:40:41 PM »
+13
Off to Phoenix yesterday for this hit on the model railroading budget. Some pics from this morning. Not as cute as Lilo, but Dog Approved 2024 Subaru Outback.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 04:42:50 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2023, 09:17:06 PM »
+8
I finally decided to post a couple pics of one of my modules.  Got remarried and moved last fall, but I'm still unpacking.  I decided to stage a couple things.  The backdrop is minimalist, as are the structures for now.  Seeing the pics on my computer is an eye opener.  The ballast looks too coarse for my tastes, and I can see definite warpage in the streets.  I used paper printouts on balsa wood for streets.  These aren't glued down yet, so hopefully that will help with warpage once they are.  I model primarily SP and ATSF with a little bit of UP as well.  The theme is a general Southern California feel with some Bob Smaus inspired downtown LA vibe, hopefully.  Many structures are finished, but most are still packed safely.  I have two other modules I'm currently working on, but nothing ready for photos yet.  Be kind, as this is my first layout photo posting, LOL!

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2023, 09:18:39 PM »
+6
Ooops.  Trying to post multiple photos...

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2023, 09:59:04 PM »
@ATSF_Ron best of luck in your new life and abode! Modeling sometime needs to play second fiddle, but your choice of transition era downtown LA theme opens up a lot of opportunities! Love that SP Connie; brass I assume?
Otto K.

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2023, 11:20:10 PM »
Hi Otto.  Yes, it's a very recent acquisition.  It's the Oriental C-9.  I also have two others from Key.  All are excellent runners!  I'm beyond behind in getting these modules to a "presentable" state.  The whole point of going sectional was to be able to get a section finished and then move on to the next.  Well, you know how that goes, haha!  I have two of three connected, at least.  One is about half done on scenery.  The other is Plywood Pacific.  Some day soon...

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2266
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2023, 11:55:36 PM »
Happy Patriots Day up there .

Richie Dost

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2023, 01:40:15 AM »
Off to Phoenix yesterday for this hit on the model railroading budget. Some pics from this morning. Not as cute as Lilo, but Dog Approved 2024 Subaru Outback.

Congrats on your on your choice of new vehicles. We have a ‘new’ Outback circa 2018. It by far the best vehicle we have ever  bought new and we’re are very happy with it. It has taken us on many adventures, including from B.C. to Nova Scotia and return (14,000 km  one trip). I’ve been told by several times by dedicated Subaru owners that the trick of a long satisfied ownership is to make sure that it gets its regular required maintenance, and deal with anything you think is not normal immediately. We love our Outback. My son has a two year old Forester, and my daughter has just bought a Crosstrek. I hope you get as much driving satisfaction as we have.

new-cars

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2802
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2023, 11:49:07 AM »

Thanks, we had a 2014 Outback that went up the Alcan from Washington to Juneau, AK
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com