Author Topic: Digitrax DCS100  (Read 1092 times)

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
Re: Digitrax DCS100
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2023, 06:32:38 PM »
+1
Qote :
What happened? The owner replaced an old HVAC system with a new brand new high efficiency heat pump and refreshed duct work. That new system apparently pulled a lot more moisture out of the basement and cooled the basement much better with 20+ operators in the room. Wood shrank. Rail gaps that had been gaped just fine, suddenly shorted, and after 30+ years, the owner had to go back and widen all the gaps. And with that, all the mystery shorts disappeared.

Just a thought...

Kind regards,
Bill
[/quote]

I shortened a turnout 2 weeks ago on 3 side to fit it in a tight place , had to solder the 2 short rails at the frog , it was fine until  I had to leave the train room door open for 2 or 3 days loosing the controlled air ....
I had search everywhere for the short circuit , I had finally pinpoint the problem on this module out of 8 modules .... 2 days ago I had shut back the door discouraged of ever finding the problem , the temperature came back to normal , today I checked the tracks on this module with an ohmeter , no more short circuit !!!
Another check at the turnout and the rails are close but not touching !!!

Thanks for all your advices !

Model railroading is more fun when trains are moving .....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 06:37:21 PM by trainforfun »
Thanks ,
Louis

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1029
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2023, 07:23:53 PM »
Huzzah!
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5206
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2023, 07:24:41 PM »
That's great Louis!  If it happened once, it will likely happen again. I'm curious at to what are your plans for a permanent fix?
. . . 42 . . .

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »
That's great Louis!  If it happened once, it will likely happen again. I'm curious at to what are your plans for a permanent fix?
Will see if I can make a Dremel cut between the 2 rails coming to the insulfrog,  they are very close , when I soldered the rails attached to them it melted a bit the plastic ties and it moved a bit . I might try to heat the rails again and spread it a bit .
For now it's OK but it will probably come back with a warm room .
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:20:30 AM by trainforfun »
Thanks ,
Louis