Author Topic: The Restart Is Coming  (Read 5185 times)

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +803
    • TrainCat Model Sales
The Restart Is Coming
« on: August 06, 2023, 08:43:37 AM »
+16
So my problem has not wanting to sell items but rather doing the distribution. I have the desire but not the time since I have a new job and I like doing my hobbies rather than taking, processing and shipping orders. The biggest regret of my life was paying more attention to TrainCat orders than I did my family and I have a deep aversion about going anywhere near that again. My deepest apologies to everyone who wanted items. So here is a plan for both of us.

Next Saturday I will be spending some time with Brad at TNR to help him and to discuss restarting the sales of existing stock and any future items I can get going again. My biggest concern is going to be the understanding of customers that when an item goes out of stock, there will some time to replenish. I already have discussed that the pricing and mins will require (I REALLY hate to say this) pre-orders or whatever you want to call them. Big ticket items, like bridges, will be the only thing I do myself as it would not be practical any other way (and I don’t expect sales of these often). Besides, last I heard was that Randy still had both Kidneys so he won’t be bothering me for Canyon Diablo. Or will he ??

On the subject of bridges, I have a standing order for several Single Track Pratts and the shorter Topock span since these consume an entire std sheet and I can get them in production. Received a PM about another Topock so I will get these ready. I expect to order bridges in Sept so PM me if you want to discuss as the mins will mean there will be a long time before the next bridge run.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +144
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: The Restart Is Coming
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 09:30:18 AM »
boB,
  Do what what ever works best for you. While I will definitely throw money at your for cabeese, freight cars, signal towers, bridges (I realize I need to save time now), enjoyment of the hobby should be first and for most for you, and you have already done so much for the hobby that I believe all of us will support whatever you do. With that being said, I am extremely excited to see your products again, and frankly I don't care if I have to pre-order and if there is a recharge period for items to be restocked, just means I have more time to save money.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 09:35:19 AM »
Its nice to hear that you're thinking of starting up again. I remember being quite enamored of the Lenticular bridge. I notice almost all the pictures have gone from your website, will they be restored? And will the bridge prices be similar or has the cost of etching increased dramatically?

Edit: The pictures are there, its just a Safari thing. I have to be very careful about where the mouse is, otherwise there is no link to click. In Firefox everything works as it should.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 09:43:38 AM by garethashenden »

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 02:45:10 PM »
That’s good news Bob. 
I remember a very long time ago you were working on a Seaboard Air Line caboose (I think it was the M-5).   Or at least you were advertising it.
https://a4.pbase.com/o12/16/1015916/1/171149935.nWli8P1k.1IMG_8018copy.jpg

Did you ever release that?  I regret I never got one of these kits. 

These cabooses obviously went to SCL and then CSX.
There are probably still a few in active service.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:38:23 PM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1288
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 04:15:14 PM »
+1
Bob, I really enjoyed your kits and built several vehicle carrieres for my GM distribution point in Framingham. I would say the easiest way to keep ahead of demand is to reduce your stock items drastically. This is your side hustle and I much rather you enjoy your life and your family than building me trinkets.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +2018
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 04:41:05 PM »
Bob,

This is indeed great news.

Hopefully, the SP S-40-8's are in the Que

Best regards,
Wolf

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 05:01:31 PM »
Bob,

Very exciting news and thank you for all the effort you put into this past and present. I was a little too young to support you In your manufacturing prime, but I'm very excited to send some money your way!

Top of my wishlist would be a rerun of your G22 kit as well as a number of the other freight car kits and details

Excited to see whats coming, I'm sure instructions on where to throw money you way is coming.  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +228
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 06:42:59 PM »
Its nice to hear that you're thinking of starting up again. I remember being quite enamored of the Lenticular bridge. I notice almost all the pictures have gone from your website, will they be restored? And will the bridge prices be similar or has the cost of etching increased dramatically?

Edit: The pictures are there, its just a Safari thing. I have to be very careful about where the mouse is, otherwise there is no link to click. In Firefox everything works as it should.

I have a Lenticular Truss bridge kit, untouched in box. PM me if interested.

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 07:00:51 AM »
Exciting news! As others have said, do what's right for you. I hope the rolling stock details and Middlesex add-ons will be in the mix somewhere, I'm still cross for not picking some up when I had the chance.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9009
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 11:19:56 AM »
Bob, Have you thought about finding a partner (maybe TNR is that) to handle the parts you don't want to do, to streamline things?

Given your skill at the "creation" part of this stuff, maybe it makes sense to focus your time on THAT part of it, and have a helper handle the parts that get in the way of that and the rest of your life.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 12:35:11 PM »
Mr. Wallet eagerly awaits your oil refinery rereleases . . . though they also scare him!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 12:39:47 PM »
+2
I MAY have G22's but I had stopped doing cars after other manufactures saw the response to some of my designs and came out with RTR versions which have done very well. If I get back into new designs, it would be a limted run to meets the mins fo sheets. That would absolutly req a near sell out before I put into production. I have come close, but no car has gone into production with rev 1 artwork. So a new car could easily have $1000 startup cost for USA etching. I'm sure I can do a small proof run with PPD or a couple of other etchers, but that would not be a gaurantee that the design would be correct at my US etcher. Those are my issues to work out.

So I have already started on my first new design which would be a replacement for ME trestles based on a lengthly conversation many months ago about the Joso Viaduct. I would not be for everyone, but it would have capability to be taller and amazing detail. You would be able to use either ME or my deck girders. I need to gauge the commercial success, but I think it may be a good one. I love bridges !!!!!!! I even have the 90% completed design for a skewed Pratt Though Truss from the former SOU line south of the New River Bridge.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »
+2
Just remembered,

I have three items that were completed, but I had to close before releasing them. They also could be put into production: 1) The aggregate Loader (img below),  2) SP Late Signal Bridge (img below) and  3) Complete NH Catenary systems (no image)

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 01:14:50 PM »
Good to see you coming back Bob, and I hope the use of TNR alleviates a lot of the pressure from you and you can zero in on the creative side!

Still up for some tank car unloading facilities and wouldn't mind some of the SP stock cars and Woodchips coming back.  Only pace for the woodchips was Deluxe and they are gone, gone, gone!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5222
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 02:27:18 PM »
Nice to see you bringing your etched designs back into production. It would have been such a shame to have all that design work be mothballed forever.

You mentioned that you were soured on all the rolling stock releases being produced in different medium by different manufacturers.  But how about some more unique items like the Auto Ramp, car transporter, or even the yard light tower?  I think those would still be good sellers.  Same goes for the acid car. Or the Barstow Yard tower?  I hope you make them all available again.
. . . 42 . . .