Author Topic: ScaleTrains N scale bulkhead flats  (Read 4997 times)

IronRiver

• Respect: +1
Re: ScaleTrains N scale bulkhead flats
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 09:35:21 AM »
+1
Caboose Stop Hobbies in Cedar Falls, IA is also a ScaleTrains dealer.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2023, 10:21:01 AM »
Didn't I read somewhere that Scale Trains only distributes to brick & mortar hobby shops (ok if they also do online ordering)? Or am I thinking about Athearn? 
. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +766
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2023, 10:31:06 AM »
Athearn, being a division of Horizon Hobby, definitely requires a B&M presence in order to be a dealer.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
Athearn, being a division of Horizon Hobby, definitely requires a B&M presence in order to be a dealer.

MBK (ModelTrainStuff) is now an exception, given that they closed the local retail store some years ago.

Englewood

• Crew
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2023, 11:45:02 AM »
+2
I'll probably get 2-3 of them. Nice to see more bulkhead flats on the market.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +766
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 12:17:12 PM »
MBK (ModelTrainStuff) is now an exception, given that they closed the local retail store some years ago.

Do they still have local pickup and thus qualifies as a "B&M" establishment?

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2023, 08:47:13 PM »
+1
Wish they would open the retail part back up. Loved going in there after going to the show in Timonium.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +500
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 09:52:32 PM »
+2
80098 seems to be the only car of this type that was never painted yellow by Trailer Train/TTX.  It's a pretty unique car in that respect, apparently still running the rails, or at least it was a few years ago.  That's why they're only doing that one road number in that artwork.

This release by Scale Trains seems to focus on that very early series that were originally painted brown.  However the vast majority of this type of car seem to have been repainted yellow or built later and originally painted in yellow, with Trailer Train branding.  (1971-1991)  I didn't find any other pictures of original brown surviving into the 70s, which doesn't mean there weren't any.   There are also similar cars in later TTPX series for which these make a decent stand-in.   I'm not seeing the bulkheads modified on these either, by the way.

For those wishing for 1991+ schemes, hopefully they will do another run with the black and white TTX (1991+) or tuscan red (2008+) logos.  Or, you could buy the yellow 'Trailer Train' ones they are releasing now, and weather them, patchout the old logos, and decal the new logos yourself.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:54:19 PM by jagged ben »

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2023, 10:00:02 PM »
+1
80098 seems to be the only car of this type that was never painted yellow by Trailer Train/TTX.  It's a pretty unique car in that respect, apparently still running the rails, or at least it was a few years ago.  That's why they're only doing that one road number in that artwork.

This release by Scale Trains seems to focus on that very early series that were originally painted brown.  However the vast majority of this type of car seem to have been repainted yellow or built later and originally painted in yellow, with Trailer Train branding.  (1971-1991)  I didn't find any other pictures of original brown surviving into the 70s, which doesn't mean there weren't any.   There are also similar cars in later TTPX series for which these make a decent stand-in.   

For those wishing for 1991+ schemes, hopefully they will do another run with the black and white TTX (1991+) or tuscan red (2008+) logos.  Or, you could buy the yellow 'Trailer Train' ones they are releasing now, and weather them, patchout the old logos, and decal the new logos yourself.

Most of the Scale Trains releases for N seem to follow on from their HO releases. The second run of the F68 bulkheads in HO has the later TTX schemes…

https://www.scaletrains.com/ho-scale/ho-scale-freight-cars/rivet-counter-ho-scale-bsc-f68ah-bulkhead-flat-car.html

Bulkhead flats have been underrepresented in N scale so I hope these sell well.

Hopefully this leads to the other versions coming to N as well – the F68CH/DH, F68BH Finger Racks, and some variations with cut-down ends would be cool too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 10:04:34 PM by kiwi_bnsf »
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +500
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2023, 12:19:04 AM »
I meant to check what they'd done in HO and then it slipped my mind.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1427
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2023, 01:28:21 AM »
Samusi01, Neville, and IronRiver:  Thank you!  I've never ordered from any of those, so will probably order direct.  I'm a little surprised that N Scale Supply doesn't stock them.

Since everyone here seems to feel that ST cars are quality products, I'll order at least a couple.  Oddly, the Northwest roads kept buying 56' 8" IL bulkhead flats, like the MT model, until centerbeams took over.  It was rare to see a longer car with Northwest lumber, as the mills preferred the "standard" cars.  But I do need a couple for interchange cars.
N Kalanaga
Be well

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2023, 10:30:17 AM »
+1
Samusi01, Neville, and IronRiver:  Thank you!  I've never ordered from any of those, so will probably order direct.  I'm a little surprised that N Scale Supply doesn't stock them.

Dealers don't have much margin on ST products, and the price you pay at ST is going to be the same as any other retailer.   If your favorite retailer doesn't carry them, it's probably by choice

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2023, 02:53:11 PM »
...and the price you pay at ST is going to be the same as any other retailer.

Somewhat inaccurate in that Lombard Hobbies sells individual ScaleTrains products at the lowest bulk discount price when such pricing has been offered by the manufacturer.

On the other hand, ScaleTrains does provide free shipping on US orders that are $99+.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2023, 03:47:03 PM »
That's a new development then, but also means they're probably making that much less.  :?

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2023, 10:33:23 PM »
On the other hand, ScaleTrains does provide free shipping on US orders that are $99+.

Hmmm, missed that tidbit...guess I should have ordered three of them instead of two.   Doh!

I'm curious about the brown Trailer Train cars.  It does seem like they were around in the '80s.  While I probably wouldn't have preordered a brown one, I was pondering maybe buying one if I came across it at a shop or show eventually.   So, another research project!   8)
Doug