Author Topic: Atlas SD45's  (Read 16405 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1728
Re: Atlas SD45's
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2022, 04:57:47 PM »
I guess maybe if you included brass models (where the low production volume allows for better quality assembly, and the details are soldered on before painting).

I guess I don’t see enough brass, but AFAICR the recent ScaleTrains are every bit as good if not better.

Up to a point tho…. It does eventually reach a level where pushing a scale to its limits starts to become a case of diminishing returns (esp. with the eyes getting older along with everything else)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2022, 07:36:14 PM »
I guess I don’t see enough brass, but AFAICR the recent ScaleTrains are every bit as good if not better.

Up to a point tho…. It does eventually reach a level where pushing a scale to its limits starts to become a case of diminishing returns (esp. with the eyes getting older along with everything else)

I can't disagree with you on that last statement.  That actually brings up another point:  in order to enjoy seeing all those fine details I look at the models under magnification, which also shows the "warts".

The latest Scale Trains item I have is the GTEL 4500 Standard Turbine, and I still see some warts on it.  Fewer than on the Big Blow Turbines, but there are still some glue stains  at some grab mounts, and few brake cylinders are glued on crooked.
. . . 42 . . .

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2022, 08:01:59 PM »
+3
It would be interesting, even if only as a thought exercise, to take three models that were otherwise identical (save perhaps for road number and such), and have one with molded parts, one with “coarse” separately-applied parts, and one with “fine” standalone parts; then run them together on different layouts and under various types of lighting and viewing conditions, and see at what point people start to notice the difference.

It would be a separate exercise to try to figure out the value (in terms of Mr. Wallet votes) that folks place on each level, tho I’m sure there would be at least as many answers as the number of folks that were asked 😉

Ed

(@peteski.. yes i am thinking of hodd deisels but of course feel free to extend 😁)

Here's a decent comparison of those categories using C44-9W models: Kato v1, a Kato Kobo version, a custom detailed and painted Kato and finally a Scale Trains rivet counter.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51442.msg698330#msg698330
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2022, 02:50:02 AM »
+2
That actually brings up another point:  in order to enjoy seeing all those fine details I look at the models under magnification, which also shows the "warts".

I would offer that it is not really fair to ding a product or manufacturer, or to label something as a "wart" or similar, if one needs to examine the model under magnification to see it as such.  Commercial models are simply not made (or priced) to stand up under that level of scrutiny.

OTOH I think the pics that @ryan_wilkerson posted (Thanks Ryan for sharing those!) do show a clear evolution of improvements, which can be generally appreciated without magnification, esp. as 'foreground quality' models.  (The ST RC has advanced the ball to a point that is generally better than what could have been achieved commercially in HO scale some 25 or so years ago -- recalling what the Kato HO models looked like ca. mid-1990s, which in turn were considered to be an advancement over their predecessors).

Ed

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2022, 07:45:49 AM »
Well, despite the fact that we can both trace our ancestry to Poland, we will continue to have different opinions on this matter.  :)

EDIT:  why would anybody want to down-vote me for this?  We are all individuals, aren't we?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 02:50:23 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1456
    • Modutrak
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2022, 08:30:01 AM »
+2
Another data point is that the three layouts I look to as shining examples of the Art of N Scale don't generally bother with grabs.  Rather, they focus on overall colors and weathering.  Mike Danneman's Rio Grande.  Bill and Wayne Reed's Cumberland Valley.  Grant Eastman's SAR.

And only one of those uses scale North American track too. 

I tend to be a model builder more than a layout builder.  So I have fun with the extra details.  And like showcasing individual models. 

One of the few layouts to do both high detail scale modeling and a finished, large layout built for operations, is Bill Darnaby's Maumee Route.  He set a goal for all free standing grab irons... and has hundreds of resin models.  But that's more of an anomaly. 

I think it's probably a time factor for most, and if you're coming from an artistic point of view there's things to do to deceive the eye.  Take the SP units shown here.  Paint that front window black, shadow and highlight the grab irons, add some detail paint and weather... one could get through a unit pretty quick.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2022, 06:36:19 PM »
+1
Well, despite the fact that we can both trace our ancestry to Poland, we will continue to have different opinions on this matter.  :)

Fair 'nuff, tho I disagree that Poles (should) always agree with one another :D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2022, 07:27:07 PM »
Fair 'nuff, tho I disagree that Poles (should) always agree with one another :D

I see what you did there!   :D

EDIT: Hmmm, I wonder why this deserved a down-vote? Looks like some clown just went down-voting Ed and me.  Having OT discussion is in the Railwire's DNA.  Assuming that is the reason for all those thumbs-down.  :?

2nd EDIT: My thanks to the mystery up-voter.  :ashat:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 03:11:46 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2023, 09:46:34 PM »
+2
To bring this back up I spoke with the Atlas guys today here at amherst and asked some questions about the switch to soundtrax.  They indicated that the frame is whole new design and ESU does not have a decoder that will fit the frame.  However, there will be a mother board that the decoder will plug into so with a DC version (which will be already set up for sound with the speaker) you can eventually put an ESU decoder into it when they get them made.  They indicated that ESU does have them in the pipe line but won't have the before production.  I need to go talk to them tomorrow to ask about it.

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2023, 02:18:26 AM »
ridinshotgun

If you are chanting with the Atlas guys.  Will the SP version of the SD45 have SP specific details such as the full light package?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3220
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2023, 06:53:23 AM »
+5

EDIT: Hmmm, I wonder why this deserved a down-vote? Looks like some clown just went down-voting Ed and me.  Having OT discussion is in the Railwire's DNA.  Assuming that is the reason for all those thumbs-down.  :?

Probably because they know it bugs you :)

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2023, 09:31:54 PM »
+3
ridinshotgun

If you are chanting with the Atlas guys.  Will the SP version of the SD45 have SP specific details such as the full light package?

Yes according to atlas it will have a full working light package.  We shall see.

I talked with ESU and it seems like they realize they dropped the ball with Atlas and this model and it sounds like it is linked with Matt no longer being at ESU.  They told me that they are planning to have a mother board and sound chip ready if not when maybe shortly after the model hits shelves.  Dc ready sounds like it will be the best option for those ESU fans.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2023, 11:04:24 PM »
Probably because they know it bugs you :)
If that'is the case, I would love to meet them in person.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2023, 11:05:58 PM »
Yes according to atlas it will have a full working light package.  We shall see.

I talked with ESU and it seems like they realize they dropped the ball with Atlas and this model and it sounds like it is linked with Matt no longer being at ESU.  They told me that they are planning to have a mother board and sound chip ready if not when maybe shortly after the model hits shelves.  Dc ready sounds like it will be the best option for those ESU fans.

How about Kato?  It seems to recall seeing somewhere that Kato will be also be ditching ESU.
. . . 42 . . .

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2023, 11:43:04 PM »
How about Kato?  It seems to recall seeing somewhere that Kato will be also be ditching ESU.

No idea. Not on my radar.