Author Topic: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail  (Read 17174 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +734
Re: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2023, 09:44:16 PM »
But are they in the wild yet where one can corral an engine?
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2023, 09:51:56 PM »

Like I mentioned, mine is in the mail (from Hogz).
. . . 42 . . .

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3492
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2023, 09:55:03 PM »

We had 2 show up at the shop last weekend, but they were pre-ordered so they went right back out the door

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2023, 09:57:15 PM »
On Twitter a few people have them in hand, I'd guess on the other side of the pond.

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2023, 11:19:02 PM »
Lombard shows 20 in stock.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2023, 08:54:59 AM »
I just ordered mine from Lombard. MBK has been very slow to list new releases. Also, the free shipping on big purchases comes with a higher price than several other shops with a better sale price. So they net out within a couple of bucks.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Showme

• Crew
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2023, 06:21:35 PM »
Lombard's stock went down one more about 10 minutes ago.......

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +581
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2023, 07:31:35 PM »
That was an interesting video. Thanks Chris! 
Now I know the purpose of those two flat discs molded into the "ceiling"of every Kato passenger car body.  I had no idea what was their purpose.
Also funny how they called smoke box a "smoke room".

Anyway, the Big Boy is as I expected. The power to each engine's chassis halves (and the motor) is fed from the boiler frame halves through the contacts on the sides of the engines plastic pivot pins.  Also unusual are the cone-shaped flywheels (those were clearly shown in the cutaway diagram earlier).

It will be interesting how to handle DCC installs with 2 separate "power units" where the motor is connected directly to the frame halves.  Doesn't  appear like the model is DCC-friendly at all, but Kato will have them available with DCC.  Then again, Kato often surprises up with innovative designs.
There are also some unconventional things like movable cylinders.

My Big Boy is in the mail.  :)
It is dcc friendly, Kato is doing factory dcc with these instead of third party installs via Kobo or US partners according to Kato USA. It appears to me the coreless motors are wired to the mechanism and are electrically isolated via a plastic mounting frame. Wiring the two motors in parallel shouldn't be a problem for most decoder's power wise but bemf and chuff rate might have some difficulty. And the cone shaped fly wheel is to allow  the mechanism to turn inside the metal boiler frame with out touching it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:33:50 PM by Jbub »
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2023, 09:40:39 PM »
The motors have little sprung contacts that fit into slots on the frame. Just pull them out and the motor is isolated.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2023, 12:06:43 AM »
The motors have little sprung contacts that fit into slots on the frame. Just pull them out and the motor is isolated.

Yes, but one of the great things  about Kato models is that most have totally wire-free construction.  What you describe sounds like wires between the two pivoting engines will have to be ran(then to the decoder) and disguised inside  the model.  I wonder  if Kato made accommodations (some empty space inside) to run the wires?  I guess I'll find out soon enough (probably on Monday).
. . . 42 . . .

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1182
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2023, 12:22:52 PM »
Unfortunately for those that like that it seems the industry as a whole is moving to wired pickups.
Though atleast with Atlas, not sure if Kato is doing the same, the wires go into friction fit ferrules into the frame as opposed anything that may require a soldering iron to remove on most models.
-Al

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1443
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2023, 07:07:05 PM »
Maybe this has been answered before, but...is KATO releasing their 4014 in three stages?  First, DCC-Friendly, Second, DCC with no sound, and Third, DCC Sound?

Are any of your 4014's you've actually got in your hands equipped with DCC or DCC sound?  Or are they all DCC-Friendly only?

If KATO is releasing them in stages, anybody here privy to what that schedule is supposed to be?

Just curious, and I don't want to read through all the posts to see if I can find an answer...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +581
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2023, 09:11:05 PM »
Maybe this has been answered before, but...is KATO releasing their 4014 in three stages?  First, DCC-Friendly, Second, DCC with no sound, and Third, DCC Sound?

Are any of your 4014's you've actually got in your hands equipped with DCC or DCC sound?  Or are they all DCC-Friendly only?

If KATO is releasing them in stages, anybody here privy to what that schedule is supposed to be?

Just curious, and I don't want to read through all the posts to see if I can find an answer...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
Yes, they are being released in the order you described. Late June for DCC and late July for sound. Also, according to KatoUSA the DCC installs will be done at the factory.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1443
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2023, 01:43:43 AM »
Yes, they are being released in the order you described. Late June for DCC and late July for sound. Also, according to KatoUSA the DCC installs will be done at the factory.

@Jbub Thanks!  Both me and Nate thank you for the prompt reply!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2023, 12:46:35 PM »
     I do not know why then last month I received a notice from KATO that the item I had reserved was shipping and then a notice from UPS that a package had been sent to me. Pretty sure I ordered either a DCC Big Boy or one with sound. I have never received a package from KATO. Go figure. Thanks ! Nate Goodman. (Nato).