Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/27/22  (Read 9043 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Weekend Update 3/27/22
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 07:59:43 PM »
+6
I got these installed today. Ten 4’ sections making up five 8’ runs. I am trying to decide between an additional 5 or 10 rows.

Brian

Way of the Zephyr

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1032
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 08:00:17 PM »
+1
On the E-Unit.. I'm gonna a say Water.. most of the photos I saw from that era.. the rear tank has a red cap, the front tank had a black/green/missing cap.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5649
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 09:02:09 PM »
+1
.webp    :D

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5252
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 10:40:17 PM »
I got these installed today. Ten 4’ sections making up five 8’ runs. I am trying to decide between an additional 5 or 10 rows.

Congratulations!  Those modular display cases looks very nice, and keep the dust off the models.  I'm glad you decided to get these instead of making your own shelves using pressure treated lumber. 
. . . 42 . . .

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 12:40:42 AM »

Do you have a link for these? I got a couple of trains I'd like to someday display like these.  Thanks

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 03:44:08 AM »
+8
My attempt at an ATSF EMC SC is a fail  :facepalm:
I need to undo the work I did on the hood and file it flat, then put all the detail parts back on - doh!! I'm glad I didn't put the headlight on!!

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 09:17:16 AM »
Do you have a link for these? I got a couple of trains I'd like to someday display like these.  Thanks

Very happy with their service!

https://www.showcase-express.com/
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 09:21:16 AM »
Congratulations!  Those modular display cases looks very nice, and keep the dust off the models.  I'm glad you decided to get these instead of making your own shelves using pressure treated lumber.

Thank you Peteski!  I am definitely happy with this investment. The pressure treated lumber is what happens when your wife and teenage son go to the hardware store!  Lol
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3712
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 12:12:17 PM »
+22
This week's work has focused on the Pine River bridge section, and specifically preparing the final bridge model for its return to the layout.  This model was built in 2006 but was removed and stored in 2009 to avoid damage while working on the track and wiring above.  I have made do with a temporary crossing since then.  As the layout goes back together, now is an opportunity for the final model to make its return.

My first task was to assemble the Micro Engineering bridge flex track, which included installing the guard rails and guard timbers.  I also elected to build some refuge bays, as the Micro Engineering ones were not the correct arrangement for my prototype.

The first set I built included .040" x .040" posts and .015" x .040" side rails.  They turned out well but looked a little heavy in their construction.  For the second set I used .030" x .030" posts and .010" x .030" side rails.  In this photograph the first set is on the left and the second set is on the right:

I then added the timbers underneath which will slide in between the ties on the track to hold them in place:

This photograph shows what they will look like in place on the bridge:

I also terminated the guard rails just off the bridge at either end (the bridge track is sitting loose at this point hence the poor alignment):

My next tasks include installing feeder wires, painting and weathering the track, and attaching the track to the bridge.  I also want to give the backdrop a fresh coat of paint, and this section will then be ready for re-installation in the new room.

Tim

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 12:14:55 PM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4705
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 01:04:26 PM »
+14
Construction of the RBB&B cookhouse generator wagon #2 and lights generator wagon #130 is essentially complete, just waiting on etched narrow ladder stock to arrive and add to the front of both wagons before final painting and deco.  These wagons are about an inch long.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 01:06:46 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1432
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 03:25:03 PM »
+10
To go with last week's picture of "beautiful downtown Moria", here is a "roster shot" of the buildings.  From left to right, they are:

Silverlode Hotel, an old Model Power kit, basically stock.  I did repaint the first floor stoneowrk, as the chocolate brown didn't look right.  The sign was generated in Wordpad and printed out.

Murray Rexall Drugs, Mostly "stone" paper over styrene, with styrene corner stones and window frames.  The sign is an actual film photo, close to 40 years old, from the Heppner, OR prototype.

Harvey's Bar and Grill, Woodland Scenics

Miners and Merchants Bank, paper and styrene, based on the old Commercial Bank of Grayson building, now gone, our local bank.

Moria Free Press, Woodland Scenics

Moria Mining Company, one piece of a modular building set, with styrene corner trim and cornice.  This is the local office, the main offices are in North Moria, on the other side of the mountains.

Wanglie's Department Store, Woodland Scenics.  Again, a computer printed sign.

The background houses are from Grandt Line.  At the bottom of the concrete trench is Silverlode Creek.  Moria is based on Wallace, ID, as it looked before the Interstate was built.

N Kalanaga
Be well

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3515
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 08:08:30 PM »
+5
More destruction on CSX Hanover Sub 2.0.  Though it's easier to tear down when you're working alone while your local modeling crew has other plans.  They aren't around to stop you :D Bittinger came down last week on the upper level, today was Emory Grove, Hampstead and start of Porters Sideling.  Trying to keep most of that in one piece in case it can be used on 3.0 without relaying it.

And there might be an instance where you can have too many trains.  When you have to move them.  But then again, that's only temporary until everything gets put back and then it's no longer a problem

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 11:00:08 PM »
+7
More fun with HeliconFocus.  I took Bryan Bussey’s recommendations and shot thirty-five pictures on the app, CameraPixels.  Leaving the minimum distance at 0% and the maximum distance at 100%, I threw out sixteen exposures and used nineteen photos to create the picture below.

Since I’m presently running the early 1990s-era on the layout, out can come the CSX F-units with an intermodal train.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1432
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 12:56:46 AM »
+1
Here you go:  The Johnston Steam Locomotives:
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/johnston/johnston.htm

However, I would disagree with the author on wheel arrangement, and call it an 0-4-4-4-4-0, since the axles were in 2-axle bogies.   In other words, a B-B-B-B, or possibly a B-B+B-B, if the two bogies on each end are, in turn, on span bolsters, which they appear to be.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:00:19 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well