Author Topic: Faulhaber gearheads?  (Read 6839 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Faulhaber gearheads?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 07:46:17 PM »
Yes, Peteski, many of them have a brass threaded insert in the back.
Just to make sure, I took that case I showed in my earlier photo and ran the lathe cutter over it for a good portion of
the opposite end of the case, peeling off about 1/2 thickness of the case.  I see the same "not silver colored" metal under there too, so it's definitely part of the case, not the threaded insert.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 08:26:41 PM »
So there are several versions of the gearhead.  Mine has the brass insert, and the rest of the body is colored warm silver and is slightly ferromagnetic.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2020, 03:08:26 PM »
Here's the link to another Railwire thread, where I photographed and detailed the process of cutting down a gearhead to make it into a 4:1.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46110.0

Maybe I'll go try this on my lathe, now that I have one.  It should be easier to do.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
Here's the link to another Railwire thread, where I photographed and detailed the process of cutting down a gearhead to make it into a 4:1.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46110.0

Maybe I'll go try this on my lathe, now that I have one.  It should be easier to do.

LOL Max, the geared you used in that thread looks just like the one I have.  The material doesn't look "brassy", and I suspect that it is slightly ferromagnetic (like the one I have).

The threaded insert that goes into the bottom of the gearhead looks like brass, but the rest of the body has a silver color.
. . . 42 . . .

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +68
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2020, 09:36:43 PM »
Thanks Max I already have that thread bookmarked. I'm going to tackle some of these after the First. I need to talk to you about values at some point. These I have were Eldon's and I'm just trying to help out his daughter who is handling the motors . We didn't inventory anything smaller than 13 mm the last time. We are talking about another inventory session after the first of the year as well. And targeting smaller motors. The couple I have sold were from my personal inventory that I bought from Eldon.

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
Thanks Max I already have that thread bookmarked. I'm going to tackle some of these after the First. I need to talk to you about values at some point. These I have were Eldon's and I'm just trying to help out his daughter who is handling the motors . We didn't inventory anything smaller than 13 mm the last time. We are talking about another inventory session after the first of the year as well. And targeting smaller motors. The couple I have sold were from my personal inventory that I bought from Eldon.

I will certainly be at your service.  Just let me know.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »

Did you purchase Eldon's inventory of motors, or are you helping the family sell his inventory?  I am sure he had a huge amount of motors and gearheads.

metalworkertom

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2020, 02:48:09 PM »
Did you purchase Eldon's inventory of motors, or are you helping the family sell his inventory?  I am sure he had a huge amount of motors and gearheads.

So far I have only been giving technical advise and helped inventory once. The one I sold you was from my stash.
I will be doing machine work on gearheads that were Eldon's. For the family. I do have much of his gears ECT . As I stated above another inventory day will be coming up after the first at some point depending on Covid situation. The smaller motors have not been inventoried yet.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
Hi,

I was going to get a 1516 with the 15/2 with the 6.3 ratio but I waited too long to pull the trigger.  :facepalm:

@metalworkertom if you find this please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2020, 06:19:30 PM »
So far I have only been giving technical advise and helped inventory once. The one I sold you was from my stash.
I will be doing machine work on gearheads that were Eldon's. For the family. I do have much of his gears ECT . As I stated above another inventory day will be coming up after the first at some point depending on Covid situation. The smaller motors have not been inventoried yet.

Cool! Let me know what you find, I am interested in making more purchases.

metalworkertom

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2020, 11:19:21 PM »
+1
Hi,

I was going to get a 1516 with the 15/2 with the 6.3 ratio but I waited too long to pull the trigger.  :facepalm:

@metalworkertom if you find this please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

Checking with Emily to see if we inventoried any last time.

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +492
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2021, 07:19:36 AM »
@metalworkertom any progress? I have one Faulhaber 1016 with a 10/1 4:1 Faulhaber gearhead that Motorman made a few years ago. I would like to have at least two more. The Faulhaber combination is a wee bit shorter than the Maxon combination.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »
@metalworkertom any progress? I have one Faulhaber 1016 with a 10/1 4:1 Faulhaber gearhead that Motorman made a few years ago. I would like to have at least two more. The Faulhaber combination is a wee bit shorter than the Maxon combination.

I exchanged PMs with Tom a few weeks ago, he is the process of moving to Maryland so he might be tied up for a bit until after he moves.

metalworkertom

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2021, 03:14:53 PM »
I do have a lot going on. However I can get some gearheads shipped out next week. I'll send PM

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2021, 08:59:28 PM »
I have two or three small motors with gear reduction. I was able to remove one geared section. The way I am figuring the gear ratio I come up with 4:1. This seems way too slow? Here is the gear tooth count- I must be doing something wrong.
The sun gear is 12 teeth (motor driven) the planetary gears (3 of them) each with 16 teeth, and the ring gear (stationary} 41 teeth.
I tried this into an 4-4-0 loco and the top speed is very slow 10-15 MPH guessing on that.
The biggest problem is I do not have any of the motor or gear specks.
The loco can creep so slow you can take a cat nap waiting for it to creep to the next tie. Very smooth and lots of toque.