Author Topic: Faulhaber gearheads?  (Read 6838 times)

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
Faulhaber gearheads?
« on: December 13, 2020, 04:38:00 PM »
Hi guys -

I am looking to purchase some Faulhaber 10/1 planetary gearheads for remotoring projects.  I haven't bought any since Motorman's unfortunate passing.  Does anyone have recommendations on a source to buy them?  Thanks.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
Re: Faulhaber gearheads?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 04:40:30 PM »
You can get them from Faulhaber.

Do you really want 10:1? Most people use 4:1.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »
10/1 is the size of the gearhead.  I want to get that size in a 4:1 gear reduction.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 05:17:40 PM »
I really don't have any suggestions as to where you can get those gearheads for a good price.
Since Eldon passed away, getting 10/1  4:1 gearheads is darn near impossible.  You can find a lot of 10mm Faulhaber motors with gearheads on them on EBay at good prices, but they all have 1024:1, 256:1 and sometimes 64:1 gearheads on them.  Buying them direct from Faulhaber is always an option, but it's an EXPENSIVE option.
I managed to cut the back off some of the high-ratio eBay ones, pull out the gears, then cut the case shorter and put it back together with only one planetary stage to make my own 4:1.  But it ain't easy.  I did that when I only had my milling machine.  Now that I have a lathe, it should be an easier job, so I may try again.  But it's a "round tu-it" job.  I just have too many other things going right now.
The nice thing I discovered by cutting down a gearhead was that the Faulhaber cases are just plain soft steel.  They are not stainless, as I had always assumed, so they cut easily.  The teeth on the gears are stainless, but not the cases.

metalworkertom

• Crew
  • Respect: +68
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 06:57:46 PM »
I have a few.  I'll check inventory in a little while and send a PM
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 07:01:30 PM by metalworkertom »

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
I have a few.  I'll check inventory in a little while and send a PM

Thanks, much appreciated!

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 07:48:12 PM »
+1
Max -

I haven't ordered from this shop from Germany, but the prices look decent especially if you buy 5.  I emailed them about whether VAT tax would be deducted from the price, I will let everyone know what I hear:

https://www.glockenankermotor.com/planetengetriebe-faulhaber/101-faulhaber/

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2391
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 07:58:46 PM »
I haven't ordered from this shop from Germany, ...

Watch out for shipping. Germany was waaaaay over-the-top with pandemic shipping restrictions earlier this year; I don't know how much they may have eased things or even if they did. The only way around it then was to pay hundreds to handle through brokers or consolidators.  :(
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 09:47:37 PM »
Max -

I haven't ordered from this shop from Germany, but the prices look decent especially if you buy 5.  I emailed them about whether VAT tax would be deducted from the price, I will let everyone know what I hear:

https://www.glockenankermotor.com/planetengetriebe-faulhaber/101-faulhaber/

Mike,
I've known about that place for a while.  The price looks like $38 per gearhead, if you buy 5.  That seems like a lot to me, even though it is way less than Faulhaber's retail price.  That's why I didn't think to suggest them.   I have never ordered from them, so I don't know about shipping costs or time.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 11:15:25 PM »
The nice thing I discovered by cutting down a gearhead was that the Faulhaber cases are just plain soft steel.  They are not stainless, as I had always assumed, so they cut easily.  The teeth on the gears are stainless, but not the cases.

I don't think that stainless steel automatically means that it is hard steel.  It probably depends on the alloy. I have some soft and pliable stainless steel wire.
The gearheads could be soft stainless steel.  Regular steel rusts readily. Have you actually see any rust on them? 
. . . 42 . . .

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 11:28:28 PM »
303 SS isn't terrible to machine.  Nor is 17-4 PH. 
Mark G.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +362
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 12:02:18 AM »
Mike,
I've known about that place for a while.  The price looks like $38 per gearhead, if you buy 5.  That seems like a lot to me, even though it is way less than Faulhaber's retail price.  That's why I didn't think to suggest them.   I have never ordered from them, so I don't know about shipping costs or time.

About $41.11 currently.  The $ to € about 1:.79 at the moment. (just sent some € on Paypal so some of that could be fees).
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2204
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
I got a couple 0816's and 1016's from Eldon early on, and a couple gearheads.  I never did have a 4:1, and the problem with all the gearheads I saw was that they made everything just too long to be useful.   My Climax B has an 0816 in it with a resistor, amazed how well that worked without a gearhead at all.

While gizmoszone was in business, I discovered that they had a 3v 5.14:1 gearhead, and the motor was swappable with the Kato 11-105 12v. motor.  That was my go-to gearhead driver for years.    Then Gizmoszone, which I think sold Marsten (China) parts, dissapeared into the ether.  I've never been able to get a response from Marsten even as a 'manufacturer' of sorts.   They had a huge asssortment of tiny gearmotors, this was just my favorite.

I'm still using Solarbotics GM15A's on my Climax models, which are a 3.5V 25:1 reduction on a really tiny package.   A 100-ohm 1/8 watt resistor seems to work just fine.  A little buzzy, but the torque and speed are excellent for a $25 or less package.   The problem is the plastic shaft, so you're kind of stuck with a universal in there as the end bearing is not load supporting.

I ended up pulling the Faulhaber out of my original scratchbuilt 44-tonner and replacing it with the Gizmoszone option.    Improvement for sure.  Now if somebody, anybody, could break through to Marsten and see if that gearhead is...anywhere.... I can't even find a cold trail.

Meanwhile, there's other manufacturers out there for high-precision tiny gearmotors, none of which I've tried yet.   I have tried Polulu, they are easily available but a lot bigger than I thought although there's a ton of options.    These guys might have some promise....
https://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/product/206-101-6mm-dc-gearmotor-16mm-type
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:06:35 AM by randgust »

mmagliaro

• Crew
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »
303 SS isn't terrible to machine.  Nor is 17-4 PH.

Peteski's note about rust is duly noted.  I never seen rust on a faulhaber gearhead.
This stuff is mighty soft.  A simple high-speed-steel cutter that I shaped from a HSS blank
sliced right through it.  It's even softer than a basic grade 2 bolt from the hardware store.
I just checked a case with a magnet and it is definitely non-magnetic.  I also noted now that in one spot
where I cut a wide swatch off the outside, that it looks brass-colored.  I wonder if they would be plated brass?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
Peteski's note about rust is duly noted.  I never seen rust on a faulhaber gearhead.
This stuff is mighty soft.  A simple high-speed-steel cutter that I shaped from a HSS blank
sliced right through it.  It's even softer than a basic grade 2 bolt from the hardware store.
I just checked a case with a magnet and it is definitely non-magnetic.  I also noted now that in one spot
where I cut a wide swatch off the outside, that it looks brass-colored.  I wonder if they would be plated brass?

Isn't all stainless slightly ferromagnetic? Maybe they are made from nickel-silver?  Just like N scale track - it is a type of brass alloy, "warm" silver in color.
. . . 42 . . .