Author Topic: Cascade Sub for Sale  (Read 3046 times)

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
Cascade Sub for Sale
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »
Didn't see this anywhere but was searching for some photos and saw this listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARK-LESTICOs-UNION-PACIFIC-N-SCALE-CASCADE-SUBDIVISION-LAYOUT-COMPLETE-/121636985946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c52211c5a

Shame to see another great N scale layout being taken down,

Phil
- Phil

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1391
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: Cascade Sub for Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 06:42:43 PM »
Wow!  That's actually pretty reasonable compared to David Popps layout.
I think he had it listed for $10K?  The last time I seen it it listed was for $5or 6K?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:36:02 PM by Bendtracker1 »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3229
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
I have a different plan .. I have 100% inventory on rolling stock and locomotives .. when I go to the model railroad in the sky, my son already has directions on what to do with it .. those things go on ebay, some of it may end up in an existing basement somewhere .. the rest will probably go into the dumpster

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2405
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
Fascinating. Were it not 2000 miles away (and at one time I lived in Whittier!), it would be a helluva jump start on what I'm building. The specs and overall design are very similar to what I have in mind. Unfortunately it could not be disassembled, loaded and reassembled without a significant amount of help. The short time to execute the whole thing is this side of impossible. He needed to work on selling the layout the moment he started contemplating the move, not after the sales contract was executed and the buyer is rushing the closing.

This is interesting enough to me to put pencil to paper. Without knowing how the module boundaries are broken, my estimate is with a lot of Tetris thinking you might be able to get it into one 20-24' van. A 26' U-Haul (actually, it's 23' - they count the box over the cab) would be $2500 + gas (~$1000), then add hotels and train fare, to get it where I am in Illinois. So a pocket estimate of $5000 for the layout, plus $5000 for logistics. Hmm. I need to sleep on this.

I find it interesting that the layout is gradeless.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »

Yes, I always did as well.  In the LDJ article I believe Mark noted that he went gradeless to significantly improve reliability of operations.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 07:22:47 PM »
I just ran it by Robyn and she asked if it included the washer and dryer. :D
...mike

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
I just ran it by Robyn and she asked if it included the washer and dryer. :D

So ask and call the bluff!  :D
- Phil

conrail98

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
Yes, I always did as well.  In the LDJ article I believe Mark noted that he went gradeless to significantly improve reliability of operations.

md

That's correct, however, since it was done in a garage there was a natural slope to the floor and while the layout itself is level, there is a slight feeling of a grade. If I lived closer and didn't need a new roof, it'd be very tempting,

Phil
- Phil

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »
"May not ship to Canada."  :x

Given the prototype, I always thought that was a bit of a missed opportunity.  Time will tell if I come to regret my choice of "nothing but grades."  :|

Go for it Mike!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5649
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »
Is that Craig in one of the auction pics?

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 11:22:04 PM »
Is that Craig in one of the auction pics?

Yep. In the back on the left.

Go for it Mike!

Now I dunno, looking at the pics again. Too many of the "it cost something in the first place" railroad features are modern - tubular steel signal structures and concrete ties, for instance. To incorporate it into my particular game plan would mean replacing an awful lot of stuff. Sort of like buying an old house... or old building :trollface: ... thinking that it would be a shortcut, only to discover that by the time you get through the list of wanna-haves, it's suddenly three years later and the wallet is a whole bunch thinner than planned.

Realistically... our calendar is jam-packed through the end of June, and to execute this on Mr. Lestico's schedule would mandate that we drop everything and put a bunch of people on the spot. No can do.
...mike

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »
Well, I'm a bit irritated with Mark, having enjoyed a number of fun op sessions on the Sub. Darn, just when he had the signaling system all done!  :|
It is a fun and well thought out and built model railroad, and I sure hope Mark can find a new home for it; it would be a real loss otherwise.
Otto K.

sp org div

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 01:42:39 AM »
 :?  Wow.....
Didnt see that coming.
I thought powering all the mainline turnouts for dispatcher control was supposed to be the next phase.....  :o
It was yet another nice layout to have had the opportunity to run on with fellow Ops groups down here.
Jeff
http://espeeoregondivision.blogspot.com/

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 06:47:33 AM »
...tubular steel signal structures and concrete ties, for instance.

I didn't see any concrete tie track, but I hear you about the logistics.  I wonder if he would entertain offers for sections of the layout?  A scene like the one below could probably find a home on someone's layout and honor the memory of an exceptional pike.

BTW, has he ever written anything about his signal construction?

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »
Hopefully it finds a home.

For 5-6K and if I was close, I would have to jump on that, but the numbers that Mike scratched up are reasonable to say the effort is huge and costs 10K+

Alternative would be to rent storage space until a buyer is found.