Author Topic: First taste of MTL SW1500  (Read 45007 times)

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +2051
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: First taste of MTL SW1500
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »
I hope this turns out well, I have my Progressive Rail decals waiting...
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1450
    • Modutrak
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 10:55:31 PM »
Why do people keep assuming that this model has anything at all to do with the LL/Walthers SW?  :?

Cheers,
-Mark

Why are you assuming that I'm assuming?  ;)

It has everything to do with an MTL tooled shell on an existing chassis as a quick and dirty SW1500.  It's not a 100% new locomotive.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:03:11 PM by Sokramiketes »

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +859
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 11:23:24 PM »
Why are you assuming that I'm assuming?  ;)

It has everything to do with an MTL tooled shell on an existing chassis as a quick and dirty SW1500.  It's not a 100% new locomotive.

While I suppose it could use some of the same components, it simply can't be the existing LL SW chassis with a scale-width hood. The frame has to be narrower, the motor has to be turned 90 degrees and how the trucks insert into the frame all have to be modified. I researched this 10 ways from Sunday when I did my SW1500 kitbash and wanted to use the LL SW chassis...which was 100% impossible.

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
While I suppose it could use some of the same components, it simply can't be the existing LL SW chassis with a scale-width hood. The frame has to be narrower, the motor has to be turned 90 degrees and how the trucks insert into the frame all have to be modified. I researched this 10 ways from Sunday when I did my SW1500 kitbash and wanted to use the LL SW chassis...which was 100% impossible.

You can't turn the motor 90 degrees, it is already on it's side.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2014, 11:32:29 PM »
Not in the LL chassis, as I recall, it's laying flat (long ways horizontal).

If it's not laying flat then it's the same width as the frame and would need to be a different (narrower) motor for the 1500.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:37:20 PM by tehachapifan »

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:34 PM »
Until I see the model in person or hear it from Joe I will assume it's just the rantings of a malcontent and disregard the opinion regarding the possible source of any parts. .... Moving on..
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

johnh35

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:53 PM »
Not in the LL chassis, as I recall, it's laying flat (long ways horizontal).

If it's not laying flat then it's the same width as the frame and would need to be a different (narrower) motor for the 1500.

I have one right here in front of me and it is not laying flat. The frame halves have sides that extend half-way up the motor, leaving the top half of the motor partially exposed. I am curious to see the mechanism. The method used by Bachmann for the Alco S-4 would lend itself to this engine as well.

johnh35

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
Until I see the model in person or hear it from Joe I will assume it's just the rantings of a malcontent and disregard the opinion regarding the possible source of any parts. .... Moving on..

Rantings? Malcontent? Really? So in your mind any of us that asked the question after seeing the details in the photo are lesser than?

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2014, 12:01:19 AM »
I have one right here in front of me and it is not laying flat. The frame halves have sides that extend half-way up the motor, leaving the top half of the motor partially exposed. I am curious to see the mechanism. The method used by Bachmann for the Alco S-4 would lend itself to this engine as well.

I remember it differently but will take your word for it on motor position. What I do know is the existing frame could not be used. Wait!...you're right on the motor....'cause now I remember the frame wrapping around the motor is what's holding everything together and is why you can't simply mill-down the existing frame. The frame structure would be lost. An entirely new frame would need to be made. This I know for sure. I also believe the way the trucks secure in the 8/9/1200 would need to be modified as there's parts that reach to the very edge of the (wide) frame.

At any rate, as far as I'm concerned, they can use all the parts they want from the LL SW anyways. Those run sweet! :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:05:30 AM by tehachapifan »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5098
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2014, 12:04:10 AM »
What about the DZ143? I've not had any issues with Digitrax decoders and LED's, when it comes to head lights. Are you having a issues when using LED's for ditch lights or strobes and a Digitrax decoder?

Yes, all FX which dim LEDs are really poorly represented on Digitrax 5th generation decoders (and earlier).  That includes rotating beacons, mars lights, alternating ditch lights, etc. Simple on-off headlights are no problem.  Most other decoders handle LEDs just fine.  Digitrax finally caught up to the rest with the 6th generation decoders (or so says their decoder manual).
. . . 42 . . .

johnh35

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »
I remember it differently but will take your word for it on motor position. What I do know is the existing frame could not be used. Wait!...you're right on the motor....'cause now I remember the frame wrapping around the motor is what's holding everything together and is why you can't simply mill-down the existing frame. The frame structure would be lost. An entirely new frame would need to be made. This I know for sure. I also believe the way the trucks secure in the 8/9/1200 would need to be modified as there's parts that reach to the very edge of the (wide) frame.

At any rate, as far as I'm concerned, they can use all the parts they want from the LL SW anyways. Those run sweet! :D

I don't think anyone is complaining about using parts from the LL SW-9 per se. I think the biggest concern is maintaining scale hood width if they do. Yes, the LL SW-9 ran nice (after you replaced the plastic worms as they have done on the latest run). 

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »
I don't think anyone is complaining about using parts from the LL SW-9 per se. I think the biggest concern is maintaining scale hood width if they do. Yes, the LL SW-9 ran nice (after you replaced the plastic worms as they have done on the latest run).

Agreed. Looking at the pic, it doesn't look like the hood is too wide in that angle. It would need to be really wide to use the existing LL chassis. This coupled with the fact that the original post says "modified chassis are in-house", I think we're golden! :D

Now the question is; what the heck do I do with these now? Finish them? Try to put the new drive under them when it comes out and if it becomes available separately? :? (the old Con-Cor/Kato switcher chassis under the 2596 is a bit fussy).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:32:58 AM by tehachapifan »

johnh35

• Crew
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »
Agreed. Looking at the pic, it doesn't look like the hood is too wide in that angle. It would need to be really wide to use the existing LL chassis. This coupled with the fact that the original post says "modified chassis are in-house", I think we're golden! :D

Now the question is; what the heck do I do with these now? Finish them? Try to put the new drive under them when it comes out and if it becomes available separately? :?

[imghttp://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/500/SW1500_Rear_Wedge.jpg[/img]

I am sure yours are leaps and bounds ahead in the detail department. Hopefully the mechanism fits and you will be home free.

tehachapifan

• Crew
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2014, 12:37:23 AM »
That would be nice if it fits! This bash approach renders a model that comes out exactly 1 scale foot longer than the prototype, but I think I can live with that unless they look way off next to the MT models (the extra foot comes from 6" more distance between the jacking pads and the pilot face on each end on the MP15DC, which was used. The spacing between jacking pads is actually correct).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:41:59 AM by tehachapifan »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1286
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »
Hi Russ, while I plan on getting the Conrail versions, I will also get a few of the slower selling schemes when they go on sale to power my two kit bashes.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away