Author Topic: Renumbering Atlas engines.  (Read 1247 times)

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
Renumbering Atlas engines.
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
I have been asked to renumber two atlas N GP-7s. These are factory painted in Guilford colors. Can I get the number off the cab sides easy without taking oof the paint? Or should I repaint the cab and re decal it? Also any easy way to renumber the number boards?
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Plumcrazy

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re: Renumbering Atlas engines.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
I had good luck removing the side numbers with solvaset  or micro-sol and a white vinyl eraser . I dab a cotton swab of solvaset onto the numbered area to get it wet . Wait about a minute ,and  erase the numbers . I usually have to repeat the process a couple of times before the numbers are gone . To make an easy number board I found this link was extremely helpful :
http://home.comcast.net/~atsf_arizona_2/Easy_N_Scale_Locomotive_Numberboards.html 

yours Alex

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
It has been a while but I had good luck renumbering some Atlas MEC GP-38's using 91% rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to scrub the existing numbers off of the long hood of the engine. I haven't tried it on the Guilford colors, though I do have a GP-40 to renumbering myself.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:21:12 AM »
I've removed all my numbers on my CV geeps and B&M geeps by using a #11 Xacto blade. I just gently scrape it across the letters or numbers slowly removing it a little at a time. I have even modified the #11 blade with a Dremel to shape it to fit around or over any detail I do not want removed. Had good results doing this.

Jon

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +965
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:27 AM »
I've used the #11 blade scraping method with success as well.  Just go lightly at first until you see how much pressure you need, and use the very tip of a brand new blade.

John C.

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »
I like to soak a match stick carved to a wedge point in Solveset and use that to rub off the letters.
I find it takes less time then the white eraser (which I used to use before hand) plus, it burnishes the paint underneath to a glossy finish, which I've had great success decaling over.