Author Topic: Conrail Windsor St Yard (York PA) Engineering Report  (Read 226380 times)

tappertrainman

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
Re: Conrail Windsor St Yard (York PA) Engineering Report
« Reply #240 on: January 29, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »
Oh man, I'm seeing the dreaded "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days..." message, so it's time for a new update.

You're telling me, mine was mid-September.  I was thinking, did I really only halfway finish a building in 3 months??

James
Santa Fe all the way!

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1804
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »
Ed, I agree...confalone'a work is outstanding and inspirational. A few years back just as I was starting work on a pulp wood loading yard I saw one of his articles on his wood yard. My results exceeded my expectations and it's probably my favorite scene on my railroad.

I had a drop leaf on a previous layout. What I did was lay the track right across the joint, then used a cutoff wheel to cut gaps over the gap. It worked great, although it was on straight tracks. Doesn't help you now tho unless you're in the mood to take up 6 or 8 inches of track on both sides of the joint.

Keep the pictures coming.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8974
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »
Thanks for the bridge and jersey wall suggestions. I'm probably just going with plastruct shapes though, especially considering the distance here.

I'm going to be supporting it with the micro engineering long girders too. They're pretty close to the real thing.

I agree about Mike Confalone. He's really good. But my original inspiration was definitely Lance Mindheim's Monon. Pictures of that just flipped a switch in my head: I'm never modeling summer again.

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2015, 04:26:57 PM »

I agree about Mike Confalone. He's really good. But my original inspiration was definitely Lance Mindheim's Monon. Pictures of that just flipped a switch in my head: I'm never modeling summer again.

I had the same reaction to both Lance's and your modeling but what lit the bulb for me was a photo in an MR photography contest many moons ago...a GG-1 racing under wire in a winter snow scene. I never knew what it was that made it click for me so I did a little "genshi genbutsu"  as the Japanese say...the lack of color in nature makes the trains pop, the cold, still air amplifies the sounds and the cold itself, for me, heightens the experience.

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2720
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
Amen - First time I ever modeled Fall-Winter with no snow on the ground, the yellow grasses and
trees that have turned are the best. Thanks Ed.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »
Amen - First time I ever modeled Fall-Winter with no snow on the ground, the yellow grasses and
trees that have turned are the best. Thanks Ed.

I'm glad to have helped create the monster!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2015, 11:23:07 PM »
I had the same reaction to both Lance's and your modeling but what lit the bulb for me was a photo in an MR photography contest many moons ago...a GG-1 racing under wire in a winter snow scene. I never knew what it was that made it click for me so I did a little "genshi genbutsu"  as the Japanese say...the lack of color in nature makes the trains pop, the cold, still air amplifies the sounds and the cold itself, for me, heightens the experience.

Jeff

Oh man. I'd love to see that.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #248 on: February 01, 2015, 12:57:26 AM »
Ed K is back! Now waiting for Chris333's layout progress reports to come back online ...,.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2720
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

PRRATSF

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
Nice Picture

jpec

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Perception and reality engage in a daily civil war
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #251 on: February 07, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »
Oh man. I'd love to see that.

It would take some serious detective work looking back through those old issues...having their CD or that new $5 a month service would be a big help...do they even do the annual photo contest any more? Seems like it phased out when photo editing software became more widely available...

Jeff
"trees are non-judgmental, and they won't abuse or betray you."- DKS

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »
Another 30+ days have passed, so time for another update, duplicated from weekend update.

I did some work on the layout this weekend, getting the first layer of grout down on the Windsor St engine "terminal".

I blogged about it, but here are some pics.
http://conrail1285.com/getting-some-ground-cover-down-on-the-windsor-st-engine-terminal/

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
The grout seems to have also colored the track.  Is that reversible?  If, in other words, one wanted a contrast between the track color and ballast (like on a mainline) is that doable?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »
The grout seems to have also colored the track.  Is that reversible?  If, in other words, one wanted a contrast between the track color and ballast (like on a mainline) is that doable?

Yeah. I've been noticing that too. I'm trying to figure out what's up with it. It's ok in this case.

It didn't seem to be a problem elsewhere where I've used grout for ballast. I think it might just be this dark stuff. I'm gonna try and figure it out though before I start on the non-cinder part of the thing.