Author Topic: Information on hopper car needed  (Read 1799 times)

GP38-2freak

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Information on hopper car needed
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
I bought this car on ebay, the lettering is made with a fineliner so I decided to strip the car and repaint it, has somebody information who made this car as there is no brand marking inside or outside the car

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Information on hopper car needed
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
Compare your hopper to this one:

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/freight/rocojumbo.html

I have a number of them, released by Con Cor.

Hmm... nothing funny
here. Move along...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

GP38-2freak

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
Looks like the one in the link...thank you  ;)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1406
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »
With good paint and lettering, decent trucks, and maybe a new roofwalk, these still make good cars.  A little work under the ends can improve them considerably, and body mounting couplers isn't hard, once you have the center sill extension firmly glued.  For years these were the only 100 ton grain hoppers available other than CenterFlows.  They're not accurate for most roads, but make good fillers, and can always be lettered for a co-op or leasing company if you don't want to use a prototype paint scheme.
N Kalanaga
Be well

GP38-2freak

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »
The car was sunk in a glass filled with isopropanol alcohol this morning to strip the paint off; roofwalk will be replaced with a finer one from Gold Medal and a brass handrail, too.
As for painting I yet have no real idea, eventually it will be decaled for company use.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
Roco, first imported for AHM, then later Concor. Concor still sells this AFAIK.

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:18:48 PM »
The car was sunk in a glass filled with isopropanol alcohol this morning to strip the paint off

How did it look after its bath?  I recently tried to strip 2 of these cars (one white, one green) and, after two alcohol baths and finally resorting to oven cleaner, I have concluded that AHM got their paint from the same supplier as Kato: it simply would not budge.  My post to this week's SNFF shows what they look like now...

GP38-2freak

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
How did it look after its bath?  I recently tried to strip 2 of these cars (one white, one green) and, after two alcohol baths and finally resorting to oven cleaner, I have concluded that AHM got their paint from the same supplier as Kato: it simply would not budge.  My post to this week's SNFF shows what they look like now...

The car was in the bath for a liitle bit more than 24 hours and as I looked for it I got shocked...the roof was bent like a banana which laid in a hot panhandle...the mainbody looks okay and only one step is missing but I will replace it and the remaining three with ones from BLMA...