Author Topic: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch  (Read 85969 times)

CVSNE

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Re: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch
« Reply #510 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:42 PM »
Ian,

I haven't looked at this thread since before Christmas, so I've just spent an enjoyable 30 minutes at lunch catching up. Layout is looking outstanding!  You've really captured the look of an old industrial area of a Northeastern city without "selliosing" it.
Well done!
On pine trees (ugh, I know): Go to a florist shop that has a decent selection of indoor plants and get yourself a Foxtail Fern - the fronds make great pine trees (fill the "inside" with some leftover ground foam, and flock them with electrostatic grass and then spraypaint green) and you'll have a self-replenishing supply of conifers. You can even trim the fronds to look more like an Eastern White pine.

On the station - I have drawings of the Palmer station, which is one of the Richardson designs. Let me know if you need the dimensions or a scan of the drawings.

Marty
Modeling (or attempting to model) the Central Vermont circa October 1954  . . .

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #511 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »
Ian,

I haven't looked at this thread since before Christmas, so I've just spent an enjoyable 30 minutes at lunch catching up. Layout is looking outstanding!  You've really captured the look of an old industrial area of a Northeastern city without "selliosing" it.
Well done!

Thanks very much Marty. I really appreciate the comments. I haven't had a chance to post in a few weeks and there will be some more up shortly. I may even take the time to take photos without the cell phone... :facepalm:

On pine trees (ugh, I know): Go to a florist shop that has a decent selection of indoor plants and get yourself a Foxtail Fern - the fronds make great pine trees (fill the "inside" with some leftover ground foam, and flock them with electrostatic grass and then spraypaint green) and you'll have a self-replenishing supply of conifers. You can even trim the fronds to look more like an Eastern White pine.
I will have to take a look at this. I just Googled it and they do look like they will do the job well.
On the station - I have drawings of the Palmer station, which is one of the Richardson designs. Let me know if you need the dimensions or a scan of the drawings.

Dimensions and a scan would be great! I dont have the time to hit up any of the remaining stations for a few months if this other station idea does not pan out.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #512 on: March 22, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
Mmmmm switching

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9197
« Reply #513 on: March 22, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
 :drool:

Drool...

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1389
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #514 on: March 23, 2013, 12:02:34 AM »
Damn!  :o

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #515 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »
Really nice Ian! Great finish and weathering on the building. Any tips to share?

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #516 on: March 23, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »
Now thats Impressive!! I had to take a second look....to take it all in
TMM

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #517 on: March 23, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
As usual, everything looks very realistic Ian.  But I wonder if the ad on the billboard is a bit too modern for the period you're modeling?  I think these ads showed up in the 21st Century. :trollface:  But then again, it seems that the older I get, the harder it gets trying to remember whether something happened 10, or 20, or 30 years ago.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #518 on: March 23, 2013, 03:07:19 AM »
As usual, everything looks very realistic Ian.  But I wonder if the ad on the billboard is a bit too modern for the period you're modeling?  I think these ads showed up in the 21st Century. :trollface:  But then again, it seems that the older I get, the harder it gets trying to remember whether something happened 10, or 20, or 30 years ago.  :facepalm:

It is...its a 2006 Cumbys ad.  :trollface: I had printed it off to make sure I had the template size right...and so it has sat for the last month. I'm thinking of a Newport or Marlboro to be the one that eventually goes there.  But I use a few dots of tacky glue so they can easily be changed.

Nothing else to report thIs week...most work has been installing QuadLN switch decoders. This scene is far from done though

The weathering on the building started out horrible. I had decided to try artist acrylics again and they did not work the way I wanted. It looked like crap. I switched back to using oils and got the results I wanted. The entire building was spray painted primer white, then given an India Ink wash. I then added raw umber rust stains. I let it all sit for a day, and then the colors were faded using soft mixing white. The window frames were then hit with a light dry brushing of mars black to tone down the soft mixing white.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:28:56 PM by Ian MacMillan »

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 23, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
I dig that building! Dig it deep, man!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #520 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
Began working on the Monster brick freight house again. Its been about 4 months since I touched the thing. Still a lot of work to do on it.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9197
« Reply #521 on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
Ian,

You'll want to paint those line poles.  PolyScale Railroad Tie Brown works.  I see you painted the insulators.  I use a little aluminum paint for mine, but PC green would also probably work for some applications.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #522 on: March 24, 2013, 05:14:55 PM »
Ian,

You'll want to paint those line poles.  PolyScale Railroad Tie Brown works.  I see you painted the insulators.  I use a little aluminum paint for mine, but PC green would also probably work for some applications.

They are painted. I painted them Krylon Ruddy Brown. Then they are hit with as wash of india ink. Cell phone may be washing them out. I used ModelMaster Green Zinc Chromate for the insulators as they were either green or bluish 'round here.

Unpainted vs Painted

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1456
    • Modutrak
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
I'd go grayer and tanner than Ruddy Brown.  At least near the top.  Darker and browner at the base. 

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Actually, I'd recommend a series of different colors. Poles vary considerably in color based on age, type and other factors. Some will fade from nearly black to a medium warm grey; you may also see variegated coloring on a single pole.

Here's a good reference image that has a nice range of colors in one shot: http://explore.org/photos/5095/telephone-poles-become-rows-of-crosses

And another: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Upoles_ottawa.jpg
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:56:59 PM by David K. Smith »