Author Topic: There's GOT to be a modeling application for this...  (Read 4703 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
Re: There's GOT to be a modeling application for this...
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
Not the smoothest ride on the road, but it does work.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
Can the track be embedded in or under anything (e.g., plaster or styrene streets)?  As an experiment that won't destroy your track, how many pieces of paper can you put on the track and the car still run reliably?

By the way, do the wheels spin on the cars, or will they eventually flat spot?

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »
You can't put much of anything on top of the track aside from smooth, really thin plastic, such as Mylar, perhaps. It can't even be as thick or as rough as paper.

As for the car in the video, the wheels are rigid, but given it's light weight, the wheels will likely never wear flat spots.

I've also confirmed that the mass of a Z Scale vehicle is too much for it to move, so this will be restricted to sub-Z scales, or objects smaller than Z Scale automobiles in Z, N or larger.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 02:31:43 AM »
All right, so I do indeed have a modeling application I want to use this for. And it will seem very cheesy to some but for me it will become a two level kiddie ride on my theme park layout which is well underway. I am also a novice with a video camera, mix it all up and I made my first (cheesy) YouTube. I am pleased with how smoothly this now runs which I attribute to filing off a ridge that is molded under the "chassis" of the nano express this set came with. And I know that Thomas is not exactly the type of model railroading we talk about on serious forums but here goes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65THzzORISA

This is a work in progress and I call it Phase 1. Next comes the peel and stick mylar which I have already tested and has proven to smoothen the ride a little more. After that will be the small mountain, or hill, with another oval above this one both going through tunnels hopefully looking like they are part of one ride.

Of course my next post on the subject might be that I tossed the whole thing in the trash!