Author Topic: True Line Trains 50' Paper Box car  (Read 23357 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: True Line Trains 50' Paper Box car
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
A few more shots of them from post at the A Board:

http://www.modeltrains.com/PICTURES/PICTURES%20-%20Non-brass-1/True%20Line%20Trains/TLT-500000-899999/TLT-600002-2%20copy.jpg

http://www.modeltrains.com/PICTURES/PICTURES%20-%20Non-brass-1/True%20Line%20Trains/TLT-500000-899999/TLT-600008-1%20copy.jpg

Weak that they messed up the door rail, but since the doors don't open I can live with it. Ride height certainly needs work.

OK back to the TLT discussion.
Their not my era but I have been following this thread just the same. Kinda
curious what kind of response anyone gets from the manufacturer.
Also looks like from these shots that they are even putting on pizza cutters!!!!
I can't see why anyone would tool a new car nowadays and NOT put low
profile wheels on!!!!!  :o :o  
Hope they get things right before they move on to a new car in the steam era!  ;D ;D ;

Jon

Me too - Bob at Credit Valley is a major client of Hobbycraft (TLT) and a player in the LHS industry so I'm sure he'll get a response and will, in turn pass it on..... I just can't imagine "what" one says in their place other than ..."oops"..... ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

ljudice

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2009, 11:09:35 PM »
For what it's worth, I just ordered several cars - 2 CN, 1 DWP and 2 CV - which was a typical mix on ALSE/SEAL through here on Conrail back in 1995 or so...

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2009, 04:54:35 AM »
I've ordered a couple of cars, but after checking again, apparently the BCOL car has the wrong roadnumber for the style of door, so a bit of modelling will be in order.

Simon

ljudice

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »
From what I could see, the CN family cars were pretty decent looking except for the door rail and the height...

By 1995 or so, a lot of the CP cars - if I recall were getting restencilled for Quebec Gastineu or Quebec Central - and most of the cars in that mix were ex-US IPD boxcars. 

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
I have recieved an initial communication from TLT (via my LHS) and they say that they are looking into the problems that we raised..... more where there is !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +653
    • My train pics
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »
Quebec Gastineu

Meh... close enough  ;)

Alot of them became Quebec-Gatineau (QGRY) cars. I recall seeing many CP boxcars in the 1980's that were acq. second hand with QC (Quebec Central) reporting marks in Toronto and environs. I wonder if any of these newsprint cars ever wore QC reporting marks... not likely.

ljudice

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »
I got my  5 cars today - and they really are quite nice...  The door rail is really easy to overlook. The height is too high - I put on 100T accumates and they lower the car by about 18".  I suspect this car should have 70T trucks though.

Also on the flush door versions (CN), the vertical door brass detail is bowed outwards on one side. I bent it back in but it is still not straight. This is hard to see though.

Overall quite nice...

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
Quebec Gastineu

Meh... close enough  ;)

Alot of them became Quebec-Gatineau (QGRY) cars. I recall seeing many CP boxcars in the 1980's that were acq. second hand with QC (Quebec Central) reporting marks in Toronto and environs. I wonder if any of these newsprint cars ever wore QC reporting marks... not likely.

Not these cars specifically. There was a series of the slightly later exterior-post newsprint cars from NSC that were delivered in QC marks and full CP Rail paint. (http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=qc75206&o=cprail) These cars later went to QGRY as well. There were a whole bunch of ex-East Camden & Highlands (the orange ones with big white stripe in the middle) that were placed with QC marks, and many of those were sold to QGRY as well. Plus as Mike mentioned, a number of other scattered secondhand cars from various sources with QC marks.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +653
    • My train pics
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »

Not these cars specifically. There was a series of the slightly later exterior-post newsprint cars from NSC that were delivered in QC marks and full CP Rail paint. (http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=qc75206&o=cprail) These cars later went to QGRY as well. There were a whole bunch of ex-East Camden & Highlands (the orange ones with big white stripe in the middle) that were placed with QC marks, and many of those were sold to QGRY as well. Plus as Mike mentioned, a number of other scattered secondhand cars from various sources with QC marks.

The East Camden & Highlands cars are the ones I remember the most.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +131
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
They certainly seemed to be the most common, I've seen a bunch of them personally although there's only about 100 of them.
Both the ex-EACH and ex-NOPB cars that were in the QC 77xxx series, and thence to QGRY same numbers.

QC 77000-77099 ex-NOPB
QC 77100-77200 ex-EACH

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
The height is too high - I put on 100T accumates and they lower the car by about 18".  I suspect this car should have 70T trucks though.

18" just by switching to Atlas trucks?  Are you sure about that?  I would have guessed maybe 6".

ljudice

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
Pretty sure - but I realized this is off the rails, so the pizza cutter removal is probably most of the loss.

Actually, the car still looks too high. I put lo-pro brown MTL wheels on another car and it looked better as well.

This may require more effort to lower than I initially thought.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4705
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
You're going to have to file the bolsters down and body-mount the couplers if you want to get the car to stand at close to the proper height.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1294
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »
Just curious, arn't the CN versions suposed to have the "Canadien"  french reporting marks on one side? All 6 CN cars apear to be english on both sides.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
Really..... on their HO car they got it right.....

....so it isn't as if they didn't know it.... if they really didn't use the bilingual livery that is a MAJOR boo boo..... has anyone got a car handy ?