Author Topic: Weathering Book coming very shortly  (Read 16679 times)

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weathering Book coming very shortly
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
I finally read the whole thing last night. There were 2 misspelled words. I want my money back.  ;D

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2009, 09:23:54 AM »
I finally read the whole thing last night. There were 2 misspelled words. I want my money back.  ;D

which words, which pages, what revision?

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »
I've got my order in and I'm waiting for the next printing (I guess) but I hope the errors are fixed before I get mine  :P ::)
The only reason I didn't get the first run, and i did want to, was due to the fact I was working so much then I didn't remember to order it in time before it sold out.  Any ideas when I can expect to see mine?  Will it be before the Show the end of  the month so I can bring it with me to the show for you to give my your autograph?

I do look forward to getting it as I love your work Tom.  And if I did get it in time (don't think so) I would really like to have you sign it for me.  Just make's it extra special.
I'm glad it sold out on the first run and hope it keeps selling like that for you.
Dave
============================

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
I've got my order in and I'm waiting for the next printing (I guess) but I hope the errors are fixed before I get mine  :P ::)

The latest printing started shipping last Saturday.  If you ordered before then, you should get your copy soon.

3rdrail

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
How come Cody Grivno hasn't reviewed it yet on "Cody's Office"??  ;D ;D ;D

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »
IDK. Will check when I get home. Not so much misspelled as invalid, I guess. There was an "is" that should have been "if", I think. The kind of things a spell checker wouldn't catch.

Will look thru and post them if you want, or I can send PM or email. I just got mine from Chuck last week, so the 2nd printing, I guess.

Freaking awesome pictures, not to mention the results.

KB

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2009, 10:59:36 AM »
IDK. Will check when I get home. Not so much misspelled as invalid, I guess. There was an "is" that should have been "if", I think. The kind of things a spell checker wouldn't catch.

Will look thru and post them if you want, or I can send PM or email. I just got mine from Chuck last week, so the 2nd printing, I guess.

Freaking awesome pictures, not to mention the results.

KB

Ok, thanks.  There is a revision number below my name on the Introduction page, knowing that will be helpful.

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »
Placed my order on the 9th of Jan so I can start to get excited about it getting here!?  Will you be at the Timonium show this month?  Need to know if should plan on bringing my book to make it special.
Thanks for the update on the shipping.
Dave

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1741
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
That one tank car looks awesome, I just have to try something like that.   :)

Say Tom, for painting multiple trucks/wheels, how do you keep the paint off the wheel treads & axle points?

Also, is there a way to look at http://www.weatheringfactory.com/ without the plugin?  (My plugins don't work  :'( ).

Thanks,
Ed

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
That one tank car looks awesome, I just have to try something like that.   :)

Say Tom, for painting multiple trucks/wheels, how do you keep the paint off the wheel treads & axle points?

Also, is there a way to look at http://www.weatheringfactory.com/ without the plugin?  (My plugins don't work  :'( ).

Thanks,
Ed

If you spray the wheels straight on, only a little gets on the tread.  This comes off quickly on a test track with a paper towel and alcohol.

I'm working on a new version of weatheringfactory.  Really, there's not much there now, and what is there is in "tom mann glorification text"  ;D  Better stuff here: http://picasaweb.google.com/weatheringfactory

justTRAINcRaZy

• Crew
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
Revision 4.

p. 5 - "...sell powders is various rust and grime colored hues."

p. 5 - Wasn't sure if this was a mistake or not. "In fact, these two cases are only when I use chalks".

p. 10 - Another not sure, "sight texture" or "slight texture".

Okay maybe only 1 misspelled. I guess I can keep it.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
Man, just when you think you get them all. ;D  BTW, none of these are David's fault.  I would take his nicely edited text and place it into the design.  I would then have to change it (add or subtract) to get everything to fit - and this is on a 40 page 300dpi document!  A lot of white space and/or ads were not something I could use to help flow the text, so creative "last minute" editing was all I could do.

Bangorboy

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
Just posted on the NScale section, now realize I should have posted it here:

I have been watching Tom's posts here on the RailWire about his weathering techniques.  I have gone to his web site and printed some of his efforts there as well.  I find them all very impressive and challenging, so I was excited to hear of his book.  I finally ordered a copy from Feather River and received it yesterday.

I am tickled to have it and read it.  It is really nice to have all of this information in one compact package.  If you ever plan to do any weathering, this is a guide you should not miss.

Mr Mann, thank you for researching the effects you have modeled, thank you for developing these techniques, and most of all thank you for publishing this.

BangorBoy
Bill Blinn
South Okaloosa N Scalers
Bill B
Drole & Lake Connick RR
N Scaling in South Okaloosa

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5649
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2009, 08:29:22 PM »
I have revision 3. Is #1 a collector edition?  :P

railbuilderdave

• Crew
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »
I got my copy today and read it.  Keep up the good work Tom.  There was on layout issue that I noticed on the text flow caused a line widow on the last page.  I only noticed this since I did DTP for many years and we had to always kern, crop, or delete to keep text from having widow or orphan lines.
D