Author Topic: T track with narrow gauge  (Read 411 times)

Pizzaparty

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
T track with narrow gauge
« on: October 19, 2024, 07:53:34 AM »
Not sure if this belongs in narrow gauge forum or here, I figure the mods will do as they see fit!

Has any one done t-track modules with a narrow gauge line? I'm not sure which track manufacturer would behave like Kato uni-track. This would only be on my modules, that way I’m not trying to worry about maintaining compatibility with other modules. Or make them where if the standard gauge does maintain the standard and use the narrow gauge as a static display if my modules can’t be together

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2232
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: T track with narrow gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2024, 09:20:40 AM »
I put a narrow-gauge loop and some dual gauge on a standard T-trak double, but I don't think that's what you mean.

But my impression if you're doing Nn3, is that Marklin has the best track quality.  I've used Rokuhan a lot as well, but those 'tight' switches have issues causing derailments that i've never been able to beat and I replaced all but two.  If I was imitating Kato, it would likely be Rokuhan.  I've had to painstakingly repaint their stuff my my Nn3 logging line, but the curve geometry down to 4 1/2" works OK.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2024, 10:23:34 AM by randgust »

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2024, 09:32:09 AM »
If you want straight up all narrow gauge, there is a Z scale T trak equivalent.  There are a few local modelers in my area that use it.
Aaron Bearden

Pizzaparty

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2024, 11:27:07 AM »
I put a narrow-gauge loop and some dual gauge on a standard T-trak double, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Actually that’s exactly what I mean! Care to share track plans or photos

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2232
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2024, 09:46:28 PM »
+1
Here you go.

Basically this started because I needed an Nn3 test track as I've been building Nn3 Climax A's as one version of my kit as custom builds.  So they really have to be run and tested.

So if I needed a test track, well, may as well make it a Ttrak module.  IF, and IF, I could figure anything out that fit.   There was a very small lumber mill at West Hickory that had a Climax A, only  lasted for a few years, was wiped out by a flood.  McCabe Lumber.    So when I discovered I could JUST BARELY get a circle of Rokuhan 4 1/2" radius in there as a loop, I was off and going as another logging railroad module concept.

I tried Mark's (narrowminded's) Code 40 on tie strip only to discover that Pliobond to hold the rail deteriorated the ties after a year, it looked great while it lasted.  Tore that all up and redid it with Marklin sectional on the interior on cork, two Marklin curved switches.   One Rokuhan 'medium' turnout on the main, and a Rokuhan "medium" that I added a third rail to to make it dual gauge.  So that siding (third track in) is actually dual gauge, and it works.

But yes, you can get an oval of Nn3 in on a standard T-trak triple, and yes, it works.   This is a pretty general track plan too.  I'm trying to fit it to a mill on the left and an enginehouse on the right.  Runs quite well with my little Nn3 Climax A's.  The track to the rear is literally hanging over the edge, had to cut a hole in the skyboard to get that additional 1/4", that will kind of be a hidden storage track in the hill and trees.  Pond and feed stream is cut, but scenery is a ways off, let alone the scratchbuilt structures.

Note that I paint everything, including every visible piece of the Rokuhan sectional, rail and ties.

link:  http://www.randgust.com/McCabe%20module%203.jpg

The mysterious toggle in the front solves a problem.  The dual gauge shares the one rail, and if I don't want power leakage from the Ttrak in the future and still run mine independently, I have to be able to swap that rail over between my local control and the inner Ttrak line (that may even be DCC).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2024, 09:50:00 PM by randgust »

Pizzaparty

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2024, 01:32:28 PM »
I forget that you can get away with pretty tight radiuses with z scale and narrow gauge railroads are well, narrow so it wouldn’t look out of place. I was thinking about how to make a couple doubles and trying to decide how to bridge the gap.