Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/21/24  (Read 2591 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
Re: Weekend Update 7/21/24
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2024, 11:31:56 PM »
Cure in place with a UV light?

Thats the thought process at this point.  Or the deck is still separate from the piers.  Since gluing the wall segments, the deck now holds its curve fairly well so i may take out out in the sunlight for a few minutes and go that route instead.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1426
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2024, 01:11:20 AM »
+1
Queenposts with a slotted top are the most common model style.  One "trick" I've read of over the years, from multiple authors, is to use a single piece of fishing line for the rods.  Thread it through holes near the bolster to fit all of the queenposts, leaving the line off the post on one pair.  After the line is tied tight inside the car, left that one onto the posts, ensuring that the entire line is tight.

It doesn't work too well for flatcars or gons, because there's no "inside" to hide the knot.  On my Nn3, I ran the line THROUGH the bolsters, between the coupler and the bolster for the center sill, and tied both ends outside one end sill, before tensioning it.  A large nut-bolt-washer and a small knot don't look that different, at normal viewing distances, in N scale.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2024, 12:45:41 PM »
+9
Nibbling away on a bunch of projects.

First, no more unpainted auto loader in Windsor St.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Then spent some time torture testing my TV train.

Which seriously got me thinking about redoing some track work here. It currently works, but not as nicely or consistently as I'd want before I start scenicing it.

And last night, I started doing some work on a PC NW2 to add to the fleet.

No joke, I actually got a little misty eyed when using those Shapeways parts. Pour one out.