Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/2/24  (Read 3788 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3514
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Weekend Update 6/2/24
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2024, 09:29:46 PM »
+17
A bit late but, I took a break over the holiday and when I got back I decided to make a kids play area by the beach.

Here is the process I used to make the swingset. The frame is made with soldered Phosphor Bronze wire, the seats are formed brass strip, and the “chains” are 38 gage magnet wire, wrapped under the seats and soldered in place. The chains are tinned at their ends.

Here I hooked the chains so I could solder the hooks to the top bar. The short swing is from the local bully, you know the kind…

After posing the swings and adding a coat of Rustoleum galvanized paint to all but the seats. The seats are painted with Tamiya TS-6 Matte Black. There will be children glued in place later.

Next I built a slide, you know the one that burned your  :ashat: on the way down! This was made using scrap stairs, and 1/8” aluminum square tubing sawed in half, sanded down to have shallow sides, and epoxied to the top of the ladder. Small brass wire braces were epoxied to the sides. Then the galvie paint and a wire stake to plant it in the foam.

Painted and mounted five bolyards (thanks  @samusi01 ) bollards on the western waterfront for the barges to moor.

I discovered that I broke the concrete bumper on the aggregate siding, so I painted two more bumpers, one to replace the broken one, and a new one for the new scrapyard siding.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 04:49:01 PM by Lemosteam »

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +120
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2024, 11:01:15 PM »
In the model contest.  Aiming to bring some hardware home.  8)
If the rail gaps are not grand canyon sized between modules on the convention layout/layouts, it may run some laps after the model contest ends.  I didn't run the EP3 in Chicago five years ago because the rail gaps were too wide.

That's what I was eluding to  :D
I've been "busy" with an entry (or two) myself. As for "running", I'm sure the Free-Mo-N layout should be "up to snuff" regarding gaps, track work, etc. I've run my stuff on the Delaware Free-Mo-N group layout (who should be there) .... NO issues, super smooth   ;)
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2024, 09:26:47 AM »
+3
That swingset immediately take me to:

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3514
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2024, 10:04:03 AM »

WTH- Is this a THING?  I am not a gamer, lol.  The first one took me by surprise.  Is the swingset processed?

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +578
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2024, 10:33:01 AM »
+1

Poor Niko!
I haven't heard of the catapulting swing set, I think I'll be loading up GTA 4 on the PC tonight. 
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2024, 01:48:05 PM »
+2
WTH- Is this a THING?  I am not a gamer, lol.  The first one took me by surprise.  Is the swingset processed?

2008 was an interesting time. There was a big emphasis on game physics. As such there were a lot of random ingame objects which had physics tied to them scattered around, garbage cans you could smash into, glass you could break through, characters ragdolling when hit. etc. The swings could move to sway in the breeze or move when you run into them on foot. The swings themselves had physics but the supports where unmovable objects. So if you backed a car in and wedged it right, the swing gets into a state where it hit its range of movement but the physics engine says a force is being applied to it. So instead of cancelling out, it just keeps being summed into the force being applied. So when you do eventually get into a less wedged position, it just launches the car in a random direction becs that stored force calculation had to go somewhere.
-Al

DirtyD79

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2024, 04:02:58 PM »

Weird as it may sound, I consider the current run of Grand Theft Auto video games a great way to examine and understand how the details of real buildings and stuff like that are supposed to look. It lets you explore them up close and personal in a way you can't in the real world without people bugging you about it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 04:06:04 PM by DirtyD79 »
I'm stronger when I'm drunk!

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2024, 06:18:34 PM »
i thought I recently read on TRW how to use windex or some other liquid to bend masonite permanently but now I can't find it!!

paggs

• Crew
  • Respect: +68
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2024, 10:57:47 PM »
Can't find those great looking concrete track bumpers on the keystone link at Shapeways. What is the title called to do a search on the project?
Thanks> MP

paggs

• Crew
  • Respect: +68
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2024, 11:04:03 PM »
Nevermind> I found it. N Scale PRR Plan70100-B Bumper 6 PACK @Keystonedetails.com

Great supplier for eastern details! > Thanks

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2024, 02:07:50 PM »
i thought I recently read on TRW how to use windex or some other liquid to bend masonite permanently but now I can't find it!!

From the The Railwire Search feature. Typed Bending Masonite.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=54644.msg749734#msg749734

Reply #7