Author Topic: Recent Atlas SD7/9 - Grrr!  (Read 1030 times)

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
Recent Atlas SD7/9 - Grrr!
« on: April 06, 2024, 09:00:54 PM »
Well, I have been doing this N scale thing since 1979 but today Atlas bested me.

I had just one simple wish: to add a decoder to my new Atlas SD9. I tried all the tried and true methods to get the shell off: small, flat screw driver blades, toothpicks, dropping the engine so the front of the frame hits the edge of the loco box (which used to be a sure-fire easy-peasy thing), incantations, etc. No joy. No movement.

Maybe some of that Scale Trains SD40-2 fuel tank screw glue migrated over to Atlas?

Tomorrow is another day but today ... wasn't. At least in my N world.
Bill McBride

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +118
Re: Recent Atlas SD7/9 - Grrr!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 05:30:14 PM »
Bill,
Had the same issue. Work Slowly and carefully with a small Flathead around the frame and shell. It will come up just be patient.
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

wmcbride

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 11:48:15 PM »
Bill,
Had the same issue. Work Slowly and carefully with a small Flathead around the frame and shell. It will come up just be patient.

Thanks! These are quite tight -- unlike all the other Atlas engines I have.

Bill McBride

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 12:42:48 AM »
+1
Thanks! These are quite tight -- unlike all the other Atlas engines I have.

They for the first time have a one-piece chassis (no split frame). Maybe Atlas made it a bit wider, so it fits tighter in the shell.
. . . 42 . . .

wmcbride

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 08:35:40 AM »
They for the first time have a one-piece chassis (no split frame). Maybe Atlas made it a bit wider, so it fits tighter in the shell.

Most likely but it is TIGHT.
Bill McBride

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2206
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 09:05:33 AM »
+2
When you do get it off, file a bit of the nubs off so you don't have so much trouble the next time.

The GP7 is just as tight.   On it, there's a 'shelf' right behind the coupler on the frame that you can pry against, it's exclusive to the new frame.  Not sure if the SD has the same feature....but according to Mark (Spookshow's) photos there's a cast-on little lug near the center axles that should be a prime point to leverage the shell off the frame wih a flat blade.   See the new mechanism shot toward the bottom:

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/atlassd7.html

wmcbride

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 01:26:20 PM »
When you do get it off, file a bit of the nubs off so you don't have so much trouble the next time.

The GP7 is just as tight.   On it, there's a 'shelf' right behind the coupler on the frame that you can pry against, it's exclusive to the new frame.  Not sure if the SD has the same feature....but according to Mark (Spookshow's) photos there's a cast-on little lug near the center axles that should be a prime point to leverage the shell off the frame wih a flat blade.   See the new mechanism shot toward the bottom:

Thanks!
Bill McBride

robertjohndavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 09:06:34 PM »
+1

Indeed! Did a shell swap over the weekend with an older GP7 and the new drive and an older GP40 and the new drive. Quite a fight getting the new shells off (40 was easier).  But they run well.