Author Topic: East Norwood, OH in Z Scale  (Read 105 times)

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1263
East Norwood, OH in Z Scale
« on: Yesterday at 02:35:36 PM »
+2
I recently relocated from Cincinnati out to my dream cabin in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains and have determined the laundry/storage room has sufficient space for a small layout.  With the ex-SP Roseville Sub. nearby, you'd be thinking a mountain mainline theme would be appealing?  On the contrary:  I'm planning on modeling a little slice of Ohio out here in the west.  Operating sessions will include Skyline Chili and Hudy (or Ale81 or Sam Adams if Hudy isn't at hand).   

Some of my overall requirements:
--6' x 6' space for layout, along the walls.
--Z scale to maximize use of space.
--Modular shelf construction that can be dis-assembled and moved relatively easily.
--Use readily available commercial track.
--Modest design/track plan.
--DC power with blocks.
--RTR rolling stock with minimal extra detailing, painting & weathering needed.

Why Z?  I have been modeling in T (1:450) and ZZ (1:300) scales for several years, but I want to do this in a scale with commercially available, reliable track, and RTR rolling stock.  I still want the advantage of the small size for more realistic curves and a better "scenery to train" ratio in the space allowed.  And I'm familiar with the difficulties of very small scales.  Z (1:220) fits the bill.  Between Atlas and MicroTrains, there are good looking North American prototype track and turnouts.  And AZL, MT, IM, and Rokuhan (among others) offer some great locos and rolling stock.

My actual modeling workspace is small (it will be tucked under the shelf layout along one wall) and at least initially I won't have a spray booth or 3D printer set up.  Therefore, most painting and weathering with be brush and/or rattle-can.

As for the prototype:  I'm a fan of motive power and variety of rolling stock, so I'd like an engine facility and yard;  I also would like some switching to keep me busy, but nothing too complicated;  I like recreating prototype scenes.  And I am a fan of Conrail, the B&O, and the modern day I&O regional. 

After some time mulling this over, an area of Cincinnati came to mind as an almost perfect fit: Norwood, OH.  Specifically the junction between the ex-B&O Midland Subdivision (formerly Ohio Division mainline between Parkersburg and Cincy), and the lead to McCullough Yard (former PRR CL&N).  This was at one time a crossing, but that was removed when the Norwood GM plant was shuttered in the late 80s.  I could realistically include anything from B&O and PRR to PC, Conrail, N&W/NS (who had trackage rights over the Midland before NS acquired the old Big 4 from Sharonville to St. Bernard), CSX and of course the I&O under a variety of owners up to G&W.   The industry and scenery along the line has changed a bit over time but a lot has remained the same.  There are some nifty old structures that crowd the yard lead through East Norwood.  I've railfanned around there for many years and have tons of photos as well, and have fond memories of the area.

The plan is to include a selectively compressed stretch of the Midland Sub, generally from Bond Hill to Oakley, the junction to the PRR/I&O at East Norwood, the lead to McCullough Yard and the locomotive facility.

Elements:
--McCullough Yard (with Inglenook-style switching)
--B&O GK Tower-East Norwood Jct.
--I&O locomotive facility w locomotive shop
--Cohen Scrap
--GM autorack lead
--Zumbeil Packaging

I'll try to use existing structure kits (for example the loco shop will be the HTT loco shed).  I'll probably use ScaleScenes card buildings for Cohen and Zumbeil.  But GK Tower will need to be 3D printed which I'll design and print.  I'll also need some B&O CPLs for East Norwood.. probably also 3D printed.

Operations will include switching Norwood Yard; Local traffic for Cohen, Zumbeil;  Interchange with B&O/CSX (which later is I&O to Queensgate).  The engine shop will have some activities as well, there's a sand tower that should get a covered hopper, and locos can be shuttled from service to ready tracks.

Here's the initial track plan.  Let me know any comments or suggestions--!  I look forward to "breaking ground" soon and sharing updates here.  - Jesse

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here's a pic of an I&O power lashup on the Midland Sub at GK/East Norwood;  That's Zumbeil Packaging behind the locos, and the yard lead going to McCullough.  Wesley Ave is the overpass in the background.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:42:01 PM by Jesse6669 »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1728
Re: East Norwood, OH in Z Scale
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:50:50 PM »
Looks nice!  Are you planning to use the MT905 couplers for switching?   They work ok for coupling without a lot of force, but I found that I had to install drag springs on my freight cars to arrest the slinky action.  That does tend to reduce the loco pulling power to some extent.

That said, I think that when @turbowhiz releases his new N-possible couplers, I will be buying them for Z-scale as well as N scale ;)

Ed
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:53:26 PM by ednadolski »