Author Topic: Broadway Limited selling preproduction samples?  (Read 1179 times)

jargonlet

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
Broadway Limited selling preproduction samples?
« on: September 27, 2023, 12:25:50 PM »
+1
Did anyone else see bli listed a bunch of ho and n preproduction samples for sale on their refurbished store? Didn’t know if anyone had any interest so I figured I should post it.

https://broadway-limited.com/collections/refurb-outlet-store?page=4

https://broadway-limited.com/products/copy-of-refurbished-r7295-ge-es44ac-ge-demo-3000-nextfuel-paragon4-sound-dc-dcc-n

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +501
Re: Broadway Limited selling preproduction samples?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 03:30:54 PM »
+1
Thanks JG for reminding me why I do not purchase BLI stuff. N scale refurb page shows 107 items, wow. I guess refurb is better than what IM does to customers ie. zamac issues.
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 11:28:38 PM »
+1
To be fair, do we know that these items weren't rejected during QC checks? And, maybe for minor issues?

I, for one, love the idea of a refurb/deep discount selection.

At that price, I had to pick up an SP NW2 in grey and scarlet.

Already have one in tiger stripe. Guess it was the wine I had with dinner. :facepalm:

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 12:23:52 AM »
My question is where is the refurbished/discounted prices on the shells ?  I inquired about a replacement for a AC6000 shell and they wanted $56 shipped ($40 and $16 shipping).  Certainly wouldn't pay full price for a shell that may or may not have issues

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1288
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 10:25:03 AM »
+1
Over the past 40+ years, I've bought refurbished computers (typing this on a refurbished HP), power tools and air staplers/nailers. Many have outlived similar products bought brand new. I suspect that the QC on refurbished stuff is probably better than the QC on new product.  The air stapler I bought in 1982 still works after driving hundreds of thousands of staples (admittedly with some maintenance on my part to replace worn parts every 10 years).

It does give me pause, however, when I see refurbished locos in a dozen roadnames per prototype, offered by BLI- it does indicate that they have either a high rate of rejects at the factory, or a high rate of returns. So far, they have yet to produce anything I want.  But I hope if they ever do an AT&SF (or GTW) steamer, that I don't pay top dollar, have a bunch of glitches, and then see them offered in droves "refurbished" (presumably with the glitches fixed) at a major discount.

Meanwhile, I soldier on with my old Kato F units...which just keep going and going and going....
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 11:06:06 AM »
I buy Kato "refurbished" locos.  😂
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +766
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »
I buy Kato "refurbished" locos.  😂

So you're buying new then?   :trollface:

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »
Yep.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +582
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 01:47:29 PM »
Over the past 40+ years, I've bought refurbished computers (typing this on a refurbished HP), power tools and air staplers/nailers. Many have outlived similar products bought brand new. I suspect that the QC on refurbished stuff is probably better than the QC on new product.  The air stapler I bought in 1982 still works after driving hundreds of thousands of staples (admittedly with some maintenance on my part to replace worn parts every 10 years).

It does give me pause, however, when I see refurbished locos in a dozen roadnames per prototype, offered by BLI- it does indicate that they have either a high rate of rejects at the factory, or a high rate of returns. So far, they have yet to produce anything I want.  But I hope if they ever do an AT&SF (or GTW) steamer, that I don't pay top dollar, have a bunch of glitches, and then see them offered in droves "refurbished" (presumably with the glitches fixed) at a major discount.

Meanwhile, I soldier on with my old Kato F units...which just keep going and going and going....
There are two issues I've seen time and again with BLI locos, electronics and residue on the wheels from chemical darkening. I'd say the majority of their returns stem from the former but there are outliers like the centipede and p5 that had design issues as well.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

DirtyD79

• Crew
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 07:54:38 PM »
Sorry man, I don't care if it's plastic, brass, platinum, or unobtainium. I just don't feel too good about paying over 200 bucks for a refurbished HO scale locomotive.
I'll eat anything you want me to eat and I'll swallow anything you want me to swallow so come on down and I'll...chew on a dog! Howwwwwwwwl!!!!!!