Author Topic: Atlas/Austria Jack Frost Covered Hopper  (Read 3409 times)

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
Re: Atlas/Austria Jack Frost Covered Hopper
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 12:27:01 PM »
On visits to Grandmom's in Port Richmond, we'd travel Delaware Avenue, passing Shackamaxon where cars were parked to service the sugar facility. That was in the 60's, so I can't recall with certainty the color schemes. 

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +281
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 05:16:12 AM »
Just what was carried in these hoppers? Pure refined sugar? Man, I'd hate to be the guy in charge of dumping the hoppers -- make a mistake or not pay attention and WHOOOSH! Hundreds of pounds of white sugar splashed all over!
How could they keep the loads from getting contaminated, is what I'm asking. If that was refined sugar loads.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1408
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 01:29:32 AM »
It probably was sugar.  They shipped flour in similar cars, and granulated sugar isn't as messy.

As for contamination, they made commercial seals for both the hatches and the gates.  They weren't used much on grain, as evidenced by the number of piles of grain in Pasco Yard in the 70s, but were common on finer materials, or those needing more protection.
N Kalanaga
Be well

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
+1
This thread is interesting, because I had no idea there were lettering variations on the prototype cars. I have 307, 324, and 309 with red lettering. I can't find my print files at the moment, but I have 1 or 2 more shots.
Sean

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
Interesting side note the PS built hoppers were delivered without hatches and they added their own (much smaller) hatches...

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=nsrx338&o=nsrx

And clearly temporary spartan lettering that was repainted later with the "Jack Frost" scheme(s).