Author Topic: Combining BLMA trucks/wheels  (Read 4732 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1718
Re: Combining BLMA trucks/wheels
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
If size is the main criteria, MT's 903/905 works quite well with their N couplers.

It's not about just the size (which would be a purely cosmetic issue).  I've tried the 905s and found that they slinky just as much as their N scale big brothers, which is hardly surprising since they share the same fundamental design.

The slinky oscillations also lead to unwanted uncouplings.  I see this particularly in long trains moving slowly (like a scale 10-20 mph) down grade in a helix (certainly not a good place to have unwanted uncouplings!).   Again this is not really too surprising because it is an artifact of the design -- the coupler can't really tell if you are running in a helix or trying to use its 'automatic operation' feature.   This does not happen with non-spring based couplers, like the LEZ, Accumate, McHenry, or Kato.

Ed

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
I understand and keep almost going there myself. I'll probably end up picking up some HO stuff eventually just because its cool out of the gate.

Have you seen the Kadee HO PS-1's with the cushioned underframes? 

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2015, 06:04:02 PM »
Hmmm I wonder were the trucks and wheels on this thread went, they seemed to have rolled away...  :facepalm:
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
Hmmm I wonder were the trucks and wheels on this thread went, they seemed to have rolled away...  :facepalm:

If you are referring to the discussion of any HO freight cars that look great right out of the box, it appears this thread went on off on a "Tangent"

http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/search-models/

It's admittedly unfair to make direct comparisons between HO and N, but if manufacturers like ESM and BLMA could raise the bar in N like Tangent and Kadee have done in HO, it's up to the other manufacturers to either make reasonable attempts to keep up or become irrelevant like Tyco has in HO.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
Actually BLMA has set new standards in N scale, they have made more realistic trucks that even lower the car body, have produced finer rolling wheels, and kinda started the whole body mount craze in out of the box rolling stock.
Rapido has done the same with passenger equipment as well... I'd say that Micro Trains is the one that is behind the times on this, some of their stuff still looks like O-27... And they don't have alot of finer details as BLMA, FVM, Trainworx, or even Exactrail... But yet they still charge as much or more for their stuff... Yes they are Made in the USA... But if anything they need to step up their game...
Just one guys opinion...

Anyways... Back to trucks please... And no not the things on highways that like to scare other drivers at night...
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5132
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »
I'd say that Micro Trains is the one that is behind the times on this, some of their stuff still looks like O-27...

That is the funniest thing I heard today. Thanks for that!  So now the MTL is the Bachman of the 21st Century?  HAHAHAHAHAHA!
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4693
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
Actually BLMA ... kinda started the whole body mount craze in out of the box rolling stock...

Not exactly.  :D   But they were among the first group of manufacturers to move in that direction.  8)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2015, 02:49:00 AM »
Early N scale had a lot in common with O-27, and much of the modern stuff still does.  That isn't necessarily bad.  Sure, O-27 has sharp curves, truck mounted couplers, cars sit too high, giant rail and bad tie spacing, etc, but it runs, it sells, and people have built operating layouts with it.

N and O seem to share the tinplate/scale combination. which HO and S have gotten away from.  It makes for some confusion in trains and track, but also means a larger market for related items.  Scenery, structures, vehicles, etc are the same for both groups.
N Kalanaga
Be well