Author Topic: Etched Brass Mesh Sources  (Read 1307 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +725
Etched Brass Mesh Sources
« on: June 08, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
Anyone know a shop that carries etched brass mesh, or preferably walkway safety tread from Gold Metal Models or Shire Scenes? MBK is out of stock, and I am looking for some for a scratch built landing in a steel beam braced structure surrounding pollution control systems.

I have almost every GMM item known to man, some for cars I don't even think I own, but no safety tread landing material. Who knew.
Peter Pfotenhauer

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5121
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Etched Brass Mesh Sources
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:17:02 PM »
Why not order directly from GMM?   Loren Perry is GMM and he is one of many manufactures who (officially or unofficially) participate in TRW.

Neal's N-gauging trains used to carry the Shire Scenes line - maybe Neal has what you are looking for?  Other than that there is a company in UK that carries those products. I don't recall their name but I have ordered from them in the past - I can look them up.
. . . 42 . . .

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
Why not order directly from GMM?   Loren Perry is GMM and he is one of many manufactures who (officially or unofficially) participate in TRW.

Neal's N-gauging trains used to carry the Shire Scenes line - maybe Neal has what you are looking for?  Other than that there is a company in UK that carries those products. I don't recall their name but I have ordered from them in the past - I can look them up.

I knew Loren was the owner, but didn't know he was on TRW. Have no idea how to order directly from the company, and was assuming if the product was out of stock in most hobby shops (Haven't found one yet) that it was not in stock at the company while awaiting a production run.
Peter Pfotenhauer

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
I knew Loren was the owner, but didn't know he was on TRW. Have no idea how to order directly from the company, and was assuming if the product was out of stock in most hobby shops (Haven't found one yet) that it was not in stock at the company while awaiting a production run.
http://www.goldmm.com/

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1728
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
Look up "hash pipe screen" on eBay. You will find large  quantities of many sizes mesh. I recently got some to sift my air eraser sand.

Craig

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »
   WW Grainger also carries a variety of mesh sizes up to 400 mesh ( very fine , almost feels like cloth).

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2243
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »

I did not know that , and I thought Loren was a babe . I feel dirty now . :x

Richie Dost

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5121
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:59 PM »
I did not know that , and I thought Loren was a babe . I feel dirty now . :x

LOL!  I know guys named Jamie, Ashley and Sandy.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1852
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:35:17 AM »
Ideas.  Here are some that you may not have looked at.  I don't know if they will do for your walkway tread or not:

BLMA sells diamond tread plate that looks great

Clover House has 80 mesh brass screen, which is about 2" in N Scale
http://cloverhouse.com/Store/product_info.php?cPath=31_32&products_id=47

Ngineering sells a mighty darn fine scale mesh in stainless
http://www.ngineering.com/sq_mesh.htm   (this is the square one, but they also have diagonal)

Good luck!

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
Look up "hash pipe screen" on eBay. You will find large  quantities of many sizes mesh. I recently got some to sift my air eraser sand.

Craig

You are probably now on a DEA watchlist  :D
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 12:25:09 PM »
You are probably now on a DEA watchlist  :D

What do you mean, now? Hehe.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen, and I use that term loosely. 8)
Peter Pfotenhauer

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1852
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
There are some really fine mesh copper and brass sheets sold in art supply stores, like this one:

http://www.dickblick.com/items/33408-8220/#photos

I have some copper mesh like this.  It really is amazingly fine stuff.  BUT... it is a true woven mesh sheet,
so it's hard to work with.  If you try to cut it apart into strips, it tends to be too floppy, like fabric, and the mesh
weaves come apart just like fabric as you cut them.   If you cut them flat on a hard surface with a steel straight edge
and a really sharp Xacto blade (a heavy blade, like a #24, not #11), you can get strips out of it, but they won't
be rigid like etched metal products are.